Day 8 part 2

Ao'nung

I listened to what he said. I felt horrible about what had happened - it was practically my fault. Maybe he's now lost all his trust in me, however small it was.
Knowing this and the thought of it happening only because of my stupidity hurt like hell.

When he finally finished I didn't dare to look up. Lo'ak and Tsireya told him how sorry they were and I apologized for the hundredth time.
Neteyam sighed and made me look at him. "For the last time: it's not your fault. So please stop the apologies." I looked away embarassed and scratched my arm.
Lo'ak nudged Tsireya. "If you're fine with it, I'll tell dad", she said to Neteyam. "He should know that an akula was so close to the reef." The boy nodded slowly. "You're right. And tell him that we were stupid to leave the reef so early and more importantly alone." She agreed and helped Lo'ak get up. He ran his fingers through his brother's locks and smiled softly. "If you're going to tell mom and dad, call me."
He nodded and our siblings took each other's hand. I looked at them intensely and after they communicated with just their eyes, they kissed.
My face dropped and Neteyam seemed to be flabbergasted. They both giggled and left us to ourselves.
" Your brother screws my sister", I said with a sigh. He punched me. "Don't say that. Be happy for them, they're cute together."
My face must've been like an open book to him. "Yes, I know, Lo'ak has a lot of temperament and he's always down to fight but he has a soft spot for her. He won't be a bad influence on Tsireya", he explained and appeared very confident in what he said. "If he hurts her I will rip his head off." He nodded in agreement.

"Are you feeling better?", I asked a while later. He let out a sigh and shrugged. "Do you think you can swim back to the village or shall I call my ilu?" I didn't really get an actual answer from him, so I called out for Rusu.
I helped my boy up with both hands and I half pushed - half dragged him down to the water. As soon as he resisted, I stopped. His hands were shaking horribly and I opened my arms for him.
Without hesitation he pressed himself up against me. I hugged him back softly. "You can't be here on your own. And if you don't decide, I will, is that alright?"
He agreed.
Together we mounted Rusu and Neteyam sat between my arms and legs like before. I held him tightly and safely and as we swam, he nuzzled his head into my chest. The fingers of my spare hands wandered through his hair again and again and down his back.
We came closer to the beach - slow and steady - and as we arrived in the shallow water, I waited for the boy to calm down.

Minutes passed.
I nudged him friendly as he still didn't move. "Neteyam?" He didn't react to that. I repeated his name, a bit louder this time, but I still got no response.
That damn kid really fell asleep.
With a smile on my face and him on my arms I got up. I made my way to his pod and investigated his resying face during. My arms already began to ache, but I didn't care.

Neytiri seemed shocked and angry as she realized who I was carrying. I put him down on his bed and sat down next to her. "What have you done?", she hissed.
I told her the whole story - but of course without the part where we practically cuddled and how pressed up against me he was. And I didn't mention the thing going on between Lo'ak and Tsireya, but I was sure that she already knew. Moms always know everything.

She was concerned and tolted her head as I finished. "I trust you that you speak the truth. Are you hungry, boy?" I nodded; the last time I've eaten something was yesterday night. I was damn hungry.
While Neytiri and I were still cooking, Jake, Kiri and Tuk came home and I noticed their side eyes.
In a shortened version I explained to them what had happened today. Jake too said that he'd be happy if I stayed over for dinner.
The sun was already setting as Neytiri handed me a bowl with steaming broth in it. Just as J was about to start eating, something rumbled inside the hut. It must've been Neteyam so I got up and went to check up on him.
He stood up and touched the back of his head. I laughed and he punched me. "Hey. It could've happened to you too."
With a big smile on our faces we went to the rest of his family and his mom hugged him tightly.
"Is it true what Ao'nung had told us? Were you really attacked by an akula?" He simply nodded and yawned afterwards. She let her fingers brush against his cheek and then handed him a bowl with stew.
Together we sat down and quietly enjoyed the warm meal after this nightmare.

[i just have zero time atm, I'm so sorry]