Day 26

Neteyam

Just like every other morning, Ao'nung was at the beach waiting for me. The last time he touched me in any way was the day we left the reef and I couldn't figure out if it was bothering me or not.
As usual we did some breathing exercises and did some stretching before calling Rusu and Ilu.
I noticed Ao'nung side eyeing me every so often as we dove through the crystal clear water. What is it? I asked. Nothing. I looked at him sceptical and made Ilu stop. Rusu was now right in front of us and I could look at him directly. Tell me. What's up with you today? He tilted his head and signed slowly Father wants me to train you. So what? Was I that terrible? I didn't quite understand his problem with any of it.
And where's your problem, exactly? It was obvious that he was nervous because he squeezed and played with his fingers. He wants me to train you out in the ocean. I I swallowed hard. After that incident we hadn't left the reef again and I wasn't really keen on it.
We swam up to the surface to talk to each other normally.
"Are you serious?" He nodded with a sad expression on his face. "Is there anything else I can do? Or is that actually my only option?" "I promise, if you didn't absolutely need to go out there, I wouldn't tell you all of that."
I was mad and clenched my jaw. "Fine. Then I suggest we get started, right?" He dodged my staring and swam to the edge of the reef. I was still angry - not with him, of course, but with the whole situation - and Ilu tried ro cheer me up with some happy feelings. It didn't quite work, but at least she distracted me a little bit. Thankfully I pet her soft sleek skin.

Ao'nung was waiting for us at the last rocks separating the ocean from the reef. We're going to stay near the reef for the beginning. Just stay close to me and tell me whenever you want to go back. My anger vanished with his words - or gestures. It wasn't his fault that I had to do this.
But still, the mere thought of going out there again made me sick.
Rusu slowly swam into the deep water and after Ilu and I had caught uo to them we dove next to each other.
Ao'nung told me a lot about the different plants and animals living here. What they were doing, how they normally acted and how I should behave if something happened.
I felt safe with him and Ilu next to me, but everything else just freaked me out. My nerves were on the verge of snapping.
Behind a few coral reefs and rocks appeared a big shadow.
Without a second thought I told Ilu to go back.

She turned and swam as fast as possible to the reef. I trusted her to find the way because I had no clue where we were. She stopped as we reached the shallow water and let me catch my breath above the surface.
A few moments later, Ao'nung shot up besides me. I looked at him shaking and with tears pooling in my eyes. My heart was racing.
Together we swam to the closest shore and after we shild down from the ilus, he hugged me tightly.
Without a word he sat down with me on his lap. I couldn't fight it anymore and started crying. The shaking just got worse.
He was softly rocking me back and forth. It was so sweet of him to do that for me without having to ask.

It didn't stop and he soon began humming a song. Subconsciously I focused on that rather than on my fear.
I listened to the melody fascinated and finally stopped crying. "Better now?", he asked quietly. I nodded and he wiped the tears from my cheeks. I was feeling ashamed of how that little incident made me panic so much.
Ao'nung seemed to have read my mind, because he said: "You don't have to be embarrassed. It's perfectly understandable that the akula scared you and if you want to, we can maybe try and talk to my dad together, okay?" I bit my lip and nodded, trying not to cry again. Without hesitation he began humming again.

He pressed me softly against his chest and asked if I wanted to try again. His words made me think, but I shook my head. "I understand. Do you want to swim back or should we just stay here and enjoy the rest of the day together?"
I closed my eyes and hid my face in his hair, which he wore loose today. I probably seemed like a huge crybaby, but I was deeply scared and that incident had me loose all my trust in the open water.
Ao'nung took my silence as an agreement to staying here and laid down on his back.
Lost in thoughts I didn't care how that must've looked like for everyone else. "You should sleep a while", he mumbled. "Could you -", I started and interrupted myself because what I wanted to ask was embarrassing.
"Could I do what exactly?" "Nothing; just forget it." I sighed. He played with some strands of my hair and began humming - this time it was a different song than earlier.
While I was listening to him, I started to drift away. Right before I dozed off, he kissed me softly on my forehead. But that was maybe just in my dream - I couldn't remember exactly.

I woke up on my own. Confused I looked around, but I didn't see Ao'nung anywhere. Rusu and Ilu were long gone and the sun was almost beginning to disappear. "Ao'nung?" Nothing. I called out his name again and stepped along the beach hoping to find him.
"Teyam." I was relieved. "Where have you been?", I asked him slightly angry. With a crooked smile he held out his hands which were filled with all kinds of berries. "Alright. You may be forgiven." He laughed softly. My stomach was feeling weird and I couldn't sort out why.
As we finished those berries together I had almost forgotten about the we-have-to-swim-back - part. "Do you want to ride Ilu or simply swim back?" I swallowed. We were inside the reef and nothing would happen to me. Especially not with Ao'nung next to me. "Swimming."
He nodded and made his way down to the waves. Standing in the water he turned back around to me and tilted his head. "Are you coming or what?"
Slowly I followed him and as he stretched out his hand to me I took it gladly.
Together we dove through the red water all the way to the beach closest to the village. We reached it and he only let go of me when we were standing on dry sand." Do you want to come along? To ask my dad, you know." I was thinking about it for a few moments and agreed slowly.
Quietly we went to his home and we greeted his parents respectfully. Ao'nung told them what we wanted and they listened to him before turning their attention towards me. "Neteyam. I am certain that ny son tells the truth. Henceforth I am very sorry to tell you that, but you have to go through this. At one point you're going to be on your own and until then I want you to prepare yourself for anything", said Tonowari and seemed to be sad about his decision.
Ronal shot me an emphatic look and squeezed my upper arm gently before following her husband outside.

Ao'nung turned to me. "I am so sorry." I just shrugged. "Whatever. I'll survive that." "Do you want me to bring you back home?" I sighed. "No need. We'll see each other tomorrow."
With sad thoughts in my mind i turnsd around and trotted slowly across the beach to my home.

Mom was making food and was waiting, until I'd finished talking. "You have a strong heart, Neteyam. And Ao'nung is a good friend. I am sure you two will figure it out eventually."
I blushed as she said that. Warmth was spreading in ny stomach and I was smiling. Weird.