Chapter 5

*Fanfiction based on Avatar 2: The Way of Water by James Cameron..... I do not own any of the characters!*

"Ow!" Ao'nung winced in pain as his mother hit the ink-dipped stake into his forearm.

"Sh." Ronal silenced him as she again hit the stone against the wood. As she did so the ink seeped into the top layer of Ao'nung's skin. This process was long and tedious, not only that but painful for the person getting tatted.

Ao'nung's friends, Lo'ak and his siblings all watched as he got his tribal tattoos done on his arm by his mother. Today was the ceremonial celebration of Ao'nung and other young reef boy's becoming of a hunter.

"Wipe that smile off your face." Ao'nung scowled at Lo'ak who snickered under his breath.

The others laughed along side one another, however, Ao'nung's older friends would depart from the scene to also get their tribal tattoos done.

"It looks beautiful, Mother." Tsireya looked at her mother's work on her brother's forearm.

Ronal smiled to herself, "It is going to take a while before it is finished."

"Well then," Tsireya continued, getting up from kneeling down, "We should leave now, Lo'ak."

Ronal glanced to her side where her daughter and Lo'ak stood next to each other. She spectated a small gesture of the the girl's hand on the boy's back whilst they walked outside the hut together. Sahik would look back down at her son, she paused before she continued her work.

Tsireya held onto Lo'ak's hand as they ran on the net connecting the pods of huts together, they came to a stop before the Sully's home.

"Okay, I have to go now." Tsireya smiled up at Lo'ak who still held onto her hand. The girl had tasks assigned from her father to do for the day, so she insisted on dropping him off before she left.

"Alright." Lo'ak leaned down slightly to plant a kiss on the top of her forehead. She smiled, and turned around to leave.

Lo'ak watched her figure walk away, despite resisting a smile there was a smirk at the edge of his lip. He felt giddy, one could see from the perk of his tail the boy was content. Lo'ak stepped his way into the hut, however, his feet suddenly came to a stop and pulled him back. His ears picked themselves up at the sound of sobbing.
On the floor of the home a familiar voice was silently crying out. It was his mother. Lo'ak swallowed, he peeked his head slightly inside, Neytiri's back was faced toward him, she was kneeled down to the floor holding onto her necklace.

"Mom?" Lo'ak crept his way slowly to the grieving woman. His eyes fell to her hands which held her necklace, it was Neteyam's. Lo'ak squatted down beside his mother.

"Lo'ak.." Neytiri collected herself, sniffling and shaking herself out of her state.

"Don't cry mom." He spoke up softly, bringing his hand to the back of her head. "Neteyam wouldn't want to see you like this."

"He would of became of age today, a hunter." Neytiri's voice toughened as she placed her hand on top of her chest.

"I know..." Lo'ak pulled his mother's shoulders into him, and embraced her gently. His head tilted and rested on the top of hers, hushing her.

The thundering beat of drums sent vibrations through the ground of the beach, along with it a harmonizing hum of the village people. The fire cackled in the dark night, and the pounding of chests and whistles came from all directions.

The sully children walked down the path towards the gathered people besides the fire, everything seemed so crowded and alive.

"Wow." Tuk breathed out, in awe at this new experience.