Chapter 9

*Fanfiction based on Avatar 2: The Way of Water by James Cameron..... I do not own any of the characters!*

Lo'ak rode on his ilu with Ao'nung riding along side. The two we're finishing up their lap around the island and were steadily moving toward shore. The sun was high and it was the middle of the day. In the distance Lo'ak could see Tsireya helping out her mother carry baskets.

"I still want to beat the shit out of you." Ao'nung spoke up as he caught the boy staring.

Lo'ak chuckled it off. "Alright, ima go."

"Uh uh." Ao'nung grabbed the boy's arm before he could leave, "We still have rounds at the other islands to do."

"I know i know. I'll be quick."

Ao'nung gave him a face.

"I'm not gonna do anything weird. Trust me." Lo'ak smiled, turning his direction toward the pod of huts where Tsireya was.

Climbing on top of the deck Lo'ak hurried his way over to the girl who seemed to be waiting outside her home for her mother who was inside.

"Hey ma." Lo'ak spoke up from behind the girl. Tsireya turned around to the voice, and a smile formed on her face.

"My love." Tsireya smiled up at him. She stepped toward the taller boy.

"I don't have long, I just came to say hi." The boy seemed out of breath. His hand rose to her cheek then to the red flower tucked behind her ear. "I like this." Lo'ak added.

Tsireya blushed, her hand came to hold his. She looked over behind his tied-up hair, she admired the band that gathered his braids together, to this day Lo'ak wore Tsireya's armband as a hair tie from when she first gave it to him.

"Your hair has gotten longer Lo'ak." Tsireya pointed out, "I can re-braid it for you later tonight."

Lo'ak nodded his head, he watched her patiently as her hand came out to smooth his hair. Both of their ears suddenly picked up when they recognized the whistle of Ao'nung in the distance, Lo'ak knew his time was up.

Later that night Tsireya sat down behind Lo'ak, re-braiding his hair inside the hut of the Sully's. Tuk sat by the small fire and watched Neytiri heat up a parcel of meat over the flames. The home was full, the whole family was there in addition to Tsireya.

Neytiri looked over at her mate, speaking with her eyes at Jake. Jake then cleared his throat and raised the attention of the people in the room.

"We're going back to the forest tonight." As the words left Jake's mouth their ears suddenly perked up in shock at the news. Tsireya sat still for a moment, pausing, then continuing her work on Lo'aks hair.

"What? Really?" Kiri's eyes looked toward her mother for confirmation.

"It is true." Neytiri spoke up, yet her eyes seemed saddened.

"Why all of a sudden?" Lo'ak asked.

"I had a dream last night," Neytiri continued, "Your grandmother appeared to me last night... she seems to be in her last days." Her voice faded out and a silence fell over the room. Jake placed a hand over her shoulder, and Neytiri placed her own over his.

"We're going to visit her until the time comes." Jake spoke for Neytiri.

"Grandmother..." Kiri whispered softly.

Tsireya sat silently behind Lo'ak as she worked on his braid. Her brows held a frown, she herself was saddened at the thought of death. Not only that but the departure of her mate. The thought of him leaving her to a place so unknown to her for however long it may take troubled her. A lonesome feeling touched her heart. Yet she wouldn't think to mention her feelings.