Chapter 6

*Fanfiction based on Avatar 2: The Way of Water by James Cameron..... I do not own any of the characters!*

Almost a year had passed since Ao'nung and the other clan members' ceremony took place, since becoming 18 Lo'ak had been undergoing the challenges and tests of becoming a hunter himself.

"How you feeling kid?" Jake walked up to his son who was laid out flat on the mat inside the hut. Exhaustion was written all over the boy's face.

"Dead." Lo'ak replied shortly, his eyes closed as he was faced toward the ceiling.

"I bet." Jake crouched down in a squat. He was quite aware of the intense training his son was taking, just recently the boy had come back from a travel out at sea for three days, partaking in the trials of becoming a hunter. "Rest up, kid. Rest up."

The father pat his son on the leg, standing up before exiting the hut, "Also." He continued, "When you're up eat the food you're mother brought you." Jake paused at the entrance as he pointed towards the leaf-wrapped parcel of food by the boy.

Lo'ak pulled his weight up and thrusted himself into a sat-up position. He groaned as he reached out for the wrapped food beside him, there was no waiting when it came to eating whatever food was available. With closed eyes, he pleasantly bit into the banana fruit and let the juices spill slightly from the edge of his lip. Lo'ak groaned in satisfaction at the food entering his empty stomach.

In the distance he could hear the whistles and calls of the people of the village, it was midday and it had been a while since Lo'ak saw his siblings, he could recognize the familiar pitch of his sisters from the distance. However, he was in no rush to see them. More than ever he'd seen Ao'nung's face as frequently as possible, especially since the beginning of his training of becoming a hunter Ao'nung had coincidentally been by his side the entire time. It felt as if he had seen everyone else, except a specific face, Tsireya.

Since coming of age the two had both individually been tasked with their own duties to fulfill. As the daughter of the Chief leaders, there was no doubt Tsireya would be taught the ways of Sahik herself. Meanwhile, Lo'ak had also been having his own lessons in establishing himself as a clan hunter. It wasn't as if the two hadn't seen each other at all during that time, maybe a glance from the distance once in a while, or even a small wave before separating to spend their individual time. Disregarding that, there hadn't been much interaction between the two since.

"Lo'ak!" Tuk yelled out, her voice nearing the boy.

Lo'ak's ears picked up and he was quick to throw himself back onto the mat, his eyes shut while pretending to be asleep. He could feel the presence of his younger sister entering the room. The boy suddenly reminisced on the trauma of Tuk jumping onto his stomach, he debated whether he got up now or face the risk of his sister's attack. Tuk suddenly went quiet, however, she was oblivious to the boy who was expecting her. At the appropriate proximity, Lo'ak lunged himself toward the younger girl who tumbled back on her feet in a scream.

A boisterous laugh fell from his mouth.

"Dumby." he muttered.

Suddenly from the corner of the boy's eye, a figure entered the scene from the entrance of the home, it was Tsireya.

The boy's eyes widened slightly, and the smile from his face disappeared. The girl held a curious stare toward him as they made eye contact.

"Lo'ak." Her voice came out calm yet surprised.

"Hi." Lo'ak's words barely came out taken by shock at seeing her at that moment. "How are you?" He forced a conversation.

"I am fine, I hear good things from my father about your training." Tsireya smiled gently at the boy. How he had missed seeing that expression.