38.

- Chapter Thirty-Eight: Mission With Fire -

- Roughly Two Months Later -

Goku, along with Tanjiro and the others are now cleared for active duty, even though Goku, Tanjiro and Inosuke were cleared five weeks prior from now.

Now that the four are cleared, Kanae would be the one to request that Goku and the others join Kyojuro on his mission. In the nick of time, Katsuo disagreed with that and wanted Goku on his mission instead. The Master went ahead with their requests.

-
- The Next Morning -

The squad wakes up to Goku's crow cawing away at them,

"It's morning! Wake up! The casualties of the Mugen Train are increasing! More than forty are now missing. You three, Tanjiro, Zenitsu and Inosuke are to join Kyojuro Rengoku on site. Head west at once!"

Goku asks, "Then what about me? What am I going to do?" The crow said, "You have a special mission with Katsuo Kinoshita. You are to meet with him as soon as possible."

The four begin to prepare themselves for their missions, with Goku being the most excited. Zenitsu asks, "Why are you excited, Goku? Since you're going on a mission with a Hashira, you might have to fight something really strong, doesn't that scare you?" Goku, with a smile, said, "Nope! Fighting strong foes is what I like to do. It's just who I am." Tanjiro said, "Be careful with your arm this time... You don't want to reopen it like you did three weeks ago." Goku said, "I'll be fine... Besides, if anything does go wrong, Master Katsuo will be there." Zenitsu mutters, "Oh, sure, that's reassuring." Inosuke yells, "Argh! I want to go on a mission with a super-strong Hashira!" Zenitsu lets out, "Of course, we are, you pig! Kyojuro Rengoku IS one of the stronger Hashiras in the Demon Slayer Corps."

After getting into their uniforms, they all disembarked to their destinations, with them breaking off a few kilometres down the road.

- Later -

Goku arrived at the Fire Estate to see Katsuo, Sayo and Akira walking out of the gates. He approaches the family and asks, "What's going on? Are we ready?" Katsuo said, "Yes, we are ready, Kamado. Now follow me, I'll lead you to our destination." Everyone said, "Understood!" before sprinting down the road behind the Hashira.

- Evening -

The four arrive at Enoshima, where Katsuo's crow tracked down a demonic presence that threatened and caused some people to go missing. When they arrived, Sayo said, "Look! You could see Mt. Fuji from here!" Akira said, "It's like they said, it does look cool." Katsuo says, "Enough. We are not here to sightsee. We are here to search for a demon." Sayo slouched and said, "Fine." Katsuo said, "After this point, we are going to split up. Finding the demon is our only goal and covering more ground will be our best bet to find it. If anything goes wrong, run as fast as you can to the beach or the bridge. That's where my crow will be waiting. But if you can't run... You know what? You three stick together. I'll look by myself while you three look together. Got it?" The three nodded before splitting up with Katsuo.

During their search, the three encounter a woman who looks depressed. Akira approached the woman and asked, "Excuse me... Do you know anything about the disappearances of everyone lately?" The woman did not say a word until he spoke up, "Miss?" The woman looked at Akira and said, "I'm sorry?" Akira repeated, "Do you know anything about the disappearances of everyone lately?" The woman looked even more sad before saying, "I do..." Sayo asks, "Can you tell us?" The woman said, "I had a husband searching for our missing daughter a few days ago... You could guess what happened to him." Goku said, "That's not much help. But if it makes you feel any better, we'll help search for your missing daughter and husband." The woman says, "I'd rather you not... If you three go missing, I'll only be left with guilt knowing that I was part of the reason you three go missing." Goku reassured, "Don't worry, miss, we won't. Though I can't guarantee to find your missing family, we'll try our very best." The woman smiled softly before saying, "Thank you so much. I need to go home now, I've been searching for days nonstop." The woman then left, allowing the three to continue. Sayo asks Goku, "Why did you say that? Now we have to look for her family, thanks to you." Goku said, "That's why I said I can't guarantee finding them." Akira said, "You're evil, man." Goku said, "No! I don't mean it like that! I mean that we can focus on our mission while keeping that on our side. Two birds with one stone." Sayo said, "Oh, I see now..." Goku says, "Yeah, you get it now." The three then continue walking down the path.