Chapter 8: Can you keep a secret?

Before the nighttime Portal Project meeting after the first week, Demi met with Heather before the Twins arrived. She also decided not to wear her blue contact lenses and fake white eyelashes on trips through the Mirror Portal anymore, as she got to be herself, Elissabat, when she was at Monster High, and she wanted Heather and the Twins to see her for who she really was.
"Your eyes, they're so beautiful. Are those new contacts?", Heather asked, noticing Elissabat's natural pink eyes for the first time.
"These are my real eyes and real eyelashes. I have been using blue contacts and the white eyelashes to hide my Elissabat identity for years. I'm just tired of it, I guess. Over at Monster High, I can just be myself, so why worry about disguising myself over there?", Demi explained.
"And, about my plan to get more information on the mirror portal ritual from Draculaura and go into the Catacombs, can you not mention it to the Twins?", Demi asked.
"Why shouldn't they know?", Heather asked.
"Well, you saw how they handled Shadow High's loss at Rainbow Vision. They are sore losers, have excessive pride for their school, and don't forgive people very easily. When I go through that portal to my original dimension, wherever MY Draculaura is calling to me from, I don't know if I want to go back or even visit Shadow High again. There is a high chance of my mind being reset to its original mindset and any memory that I have a Shadow High being completely erased. I'm happier over at Monster High than I am over here, even. I don't want them to know about it because, what if they terminate the Portal Project over fear of losing me to another school? I don't know if they can mentally handle losing one of their most talented film students to another world under mysterious circumstances. And don't tell Lola or Eliza either. They have no idea about my real identity and I don't want to hurt them or make them think I betrayed them by leaving Shadow High.", Demi sighed, her pink eyes looking at Heather with worry.
Heather nodded, "I won't tell them, okay. But you know that they are like sisters to me, right? I don't feel right hiding things from them. If it wasn't for them, I would be nothing at this school, a nobody. But ever since they took me under their wing and started mentoring me, things have been better. I have been happier, more organized and successful as an artist ever since I started working with them. With their art, acting experience, and their modeling, they truly are inspirational, no matter how cruel they may seem on the surface."
Regaining her composure, Heather continued, "I am sorry I got all defensive, but I understand that this is a matter between us, not them. They have nothing to do with your decision and don't need to know right now."

Just as Heather and Demi were finishing up their private chat, the Storm Twins entered the room.
"Well, our photoshoot went overtime, but here we are! Heather, do you have the progress report up on your laptop?", Naomi said.
Heather nodded, clicking on the tab to fill in the progress report.
The Twins then looked over at Demi, "Are those new contacts? And why are your eyelashes like that?", Veronica asked in a mostly neutral tone.
Demi shook her head, "These are my real eyes and real eyelashes. The blue eyes were just contact lenses."
The Twins nodded. "Well they look good on you, much more interesting than those boring contact lenses. We're impressed.", Naomi said.
"And the pink is a good compliment color on you. I myself don't mind mixing a touch of pink into my looks.", Veronica said, smiling a bit as she showed off her long, pink, acrylic nails and her bubblegum pink eyeshadow and lipstick colors.
Demi smiled a bit at the compliments, "Thank you. That means a lot coming from you two."

"So, what progress have we made so far, Heather?", Naomi asked, officially beginning the meeting.
"For the Twins, they have made an alliance with Cleo De Nile and have gotten her contact information in order to gain information on the Monster High Dimension under the guise of giving each other fashion advice. Brilliant move if you ask me.", Heather stated.
"At least we don't have the technology to follow her on Eek-tok! She has been sending her Eek-toks through our personal email non-stop and they are so cringey. Ugh!", Veronica said.
"Well, you were the ones who had to befriend the most egotistical, sometimes dumb, spoiled rich girl in the whole school. Its really no surprise that someone with an ego that big is active on social media. Like attracts like I guess.", Demi said.
"Well, you could've warned us! And normally befriending the rich and powerful works in our favor!", Naomi retorted.
"That may work at Shadow High, but Monster High's social hierarchy isn't just about wealth or fame. Social status plays a part in it, but to be popular over there, you need things like kindness, charisma, and school related accomplishments. I mean, look at Toreli, for example. She comes from a rich, elite monster family, but doesn't have a lot of friends and gets humiliated sometimes because she bullies and is mean to other ghouls and they know about it. If you two even tried to treat the ghouls and mansters the way you treat the freshmen over here, you would be absolutely screwed and would probably end up in Bloodgood's office somehow.", Demi corrected them.
"Ugh, Fine. We get your point. Can we move on now? We don't like being insulted. We haven't sabatoged or bullied anybody over there, okay?.", Veronica said.
"Now for Demi's contributions to the project. She has sent the most photos of Monster High, provided all of us with maps, has befriended Draculaura and her friend group, and she has even enrolled in virtual night classes over there so that she could get a student ID in order to gain access to the school library to search for more information regarding the mirror portal system.", Heather said.
The group nodded in acknowledgement at Demi's contributions to the project and Demi was grateful that Heather had not mentioned going into the Catacombs.
"As for me, I have a notebook full of information on all the monster species and their histories at the school that I got from pretending to interview them! I even got Bloodgood to tell me her species and the basics of her family history! You girls can consult it if you need to.", Heather said excitedly.
"And nobody picked up on the fact that you are normies?", Demi asked, her voice hopeful.
"Everyone just assumed we were vampires. I guess being as pale as we are does have an advantage.", Veronica said.
"And the ghouls and mansters just assumed that I was some kind of species of zombie.", Heather said.
Demi sighed in relief. If any of them blew their cover, who knew what would happen.
"Well, I guess that concludes our meeting. Lets return to our dorms for the night. We still have our classes to attend during the day.", Naomi said.
The Twins then left the attic and headed back to their dorms, but Demi and Heather stayed behind for a few minutes.
"Thank you for not mentioning the Catacombs. I was almost scared that you would let it slip.", Demi told Heather.
Heather smiled at Demi, "Don't worry about it. They have no reason to know and whenever you're ready to do the ritual for the mirror portal back to your dimension, I'll support you all the way."
After giving each other a quick hug, the girls finally headed off to their dorms for the night.