CHAPTER 2

"Hia, what happened?" I asked him as I was approaching him, but I didn't get any response, which made me worry. I never saw him this silent; it is scaring me.

"Hia, tell me something. Why are you silent? You're scaring me," I said. Then I observed that he was still in his university uniform and that his eyes looked like he was crying for some reason; he looked hurt. I didn't ask anything further and just hugged him, which made him shiver, and he started to sense me and cried in my arms.

I didn't know how to console him. This is new to me because he has always been the one to console others So I waited until he stopped crying and his breath became even. I brought him a glass of water. He drank it but still didn't open his mouth to answer my questions. So I thought to give him some time.

"I found my mate" was the first thing he told me as I was about to leave.

"Hia, I'm so happy for you." I couldn't control my excitement for him. I was so happy when I heard that, but why was he crying?

"But, why were you crying, Hia? Did something happen?" I asked him because I was both concerned and scared for him at the same time. 'Did he get rejected?' I wondered, because no one should have made my brother cry like that; he is the strongest person I have ever known. If he is crying because of his Mate, I'm going to fight for him.

"Please tell me, Hia," I requested.

"After completing classes, I was heading to my part time job, but then I got to know that today is the pack's celebration of the New Alpha's birthday, so my friends suggested that we go to the pack house to attend the party. At first, I didn't want to go, but after some time, I felt like something in me was pushing me to go to the pack house." He took a deep breath and continued. " And I went with them, and there only I met my mate; it was none other than the new Alpha. He saw me and was about to approach me, but I ran away from there and didn't give him a chance to talk to me." He explained and was about to say something more but stopped right there.

"Why did you run away from there? Hia, you should have at least given him the opportunity to speak with you. " I scolded him because meeting your mate is one of the most important and happiest moments in a werewolf's life.

"He is your soulmate. How can you run away like that? What if he thinks you rejected him?"

"I know, Chay, I got scared. My body reacted before my brain could take it all in. Now I don't know how to face him." He looked like he was about to cry again. "Don't worry, Hia; first thing in the morning, go meet him, talk to him, and sort this out before you start regretting it." I suggested him.

"Now go to sleep." I wished him "good night" and left his room. I don't want to see him feeling down like this again.

Oh, Moon Goddess, please help my brother. He has already sacrificed many things for the sake of protecting me. He has finally found someone who will not only protect him but also love him, as he has always deserved.

Though I'm a mateless person, I can still understand the meaning of having a mate who promises to protect you until their last breath. I know that in this life I will never experience that feeling, but that doesn't mean that I am not happy about this life because I have my brother by my side, who makes me feel at home with his presence. There is nothing more important than my brother's happiness.

The next morning, I woke up before my brother to prepare him breakfast to cheer him up.
"Good morning, Hia." I greeted him as he entered the kitchen with puffy eyes from all the crying.

"Good morning," he said and sat down on the dining table, waiting for breakfast. I made his favourite pancakes. But he didn't look excited after seeing that his favourite was being served.