A Reunion

Anara's pov.....

"Are you ready?"

"Always"

"Come. Let's go"

I glimpse at my reflection one last time and tag along dad to downstairs. Despite Dad hasn't fully recovered, he decided to keep his promise and take me somewhere out there where Mom lives. Daadi protested at first but Dad convinced her anyway. I don't know why daadi protested. I mean....Is it because of concern about Dad's health or is it because she doesn't want us to meet Mom after these many years?

Whatever it is. I should meet her today at any cost. I feel a bit selfish about it and guilty too. But it's not my decision to go this early like literally soon after Dad's discharge from the hospital. I might have waited if he asked me to.

"We'll be back soon, Ma"

She nods and approaches me.

"Happy birthday once again, little girl" she plants a kiss on my forehead. "Thanks, daadi"

With that, we start going to God knows where.

The excitement which is bubbled up inside me cares not to ask Dad anyway. It says to me 'Let it be like a surprise'

The drive is subtle and we ought to be. It's quite weird for us to be silent for a long time. I don't know what Dad is thinking about. Because he looks a bit tensed. Perhaps it's because he's going to see her after ages. I can't even imagine how Mom would react when she sees us on her porch all of a sudden.

I still feel it like a dream. It's happening. I am going to see her....finally....for the first time. I can't believe it is that easy for a great reunion. Dad, Mom, daadi, and I....are going to live together under the same roof. Oh my god!! This is going to be amazing. I glance at Dad with a huge grin but he doesn't meet my eyes.

What's wrong with him? His hands tremble a little on seeing something. I look in the direction where he's looking at. It's a milestone and the letters written on it surprise me. All this time, Mom lived here...a few kilometers away from me, and I never acknowledged it. Why didn't I realize it before? Why don't I anticipate that Mom can be nowhere in this world other than her native Mussoorie?

I place my hand on Dad's hand and squeeze it gently. "It's okay, Dad. It's going to be fine. She'll accept us" His eyes brim with tears and he looks away from me. I know it's a bit emotional for us but it doesn't feel right. Like something is wrong.

Dad somehow managed to speak and told the driver to go forward. He revs the engine and drives us to the town. The town is so beautiful with full of vibes. And the climate just enhances its beauty. Now I understand why it's called the queen of hill stations.

I love to spend more time here but I have to meet Mom first. She is my priority after all. So I just take the view and cherish it. Dad gives directions to our destination and the driver just heeds. On the other side, I am so indulged in enjoying the scenic beauty through the window. But as we pass by, my excitement is becoming anxious. Like we crossed all the houses and most of the town. I thought that she lived here. But seems like... Just then car halts near a....... What the hell!?

"Dad....why do we stop here?"

"Sweetheart, get down the car"

"But dad, why? I know that you used to visit here often, especially on my birthdays. But today is different. We have to meet Mom first. You promised me, Dad. Remember?"

"Naina please"

"What!?"

"Shit!! (pauses and sighs) Anara sweetheart, please get out of the car. I'll tell you why I brought you here. You have to be patient"