Give Us Strength

Anara's POV...

"God!! Dad... close the windows" I roll onto another side. But the heat from the sun's rays wakes me up. "Dad...I want to sleep more" I mumble a little loud so that Dad could hear me. But there is no response from him. Sighing in frustration, I get up lazily and rub my face with my palms. I look for Dad but the room is empty. Staring at the slightly opened door, I wonder what could be the time now.

I look at the clock to see it's already past quarter 8. "Shit" I curse under my breath and hurry up. I totally forgot that I have a school to attend. Although I am reluctant to go to school, I have to complete my schooling and I can't quit now only to waste a year. So I just made up my mind for Dad. I don't want him to see me as a loser. Besides, I really need a distraction right now. I pick up the picture of Mom and rush to my room. It might be easy for me if Dad wakes me up early.

"It should be done, Ma"

"Ayan. Don't you think that you are hurrying things?"

"Why not, ma? I don't have much time. You already know that, right? And of course, I need to hurry things"

"But... You should have.."

"Ma, please. I need to do everything right for my Ani. Just keep these documents safe somewhere and give them to her at the right time"

"What else can I do when my son made up his mind?"

I overhear their conversation when I am in a rush. I don't understand a thing but I do know that it has something to do with me. As much as I want to go to them right now and ask them what's the matter. I  know the answer already. They won't tell me a thing. So why so many efforts? I give up asking them unanswered questions realizing that everything has time and we have to wait until it comes. I accept this fact a long ago. I waited so long to know about Mom. I held my curiosity and waited patiently until the time came. But I never anticipated that yesterday was that time.

With all these thoughts whirling in my mind, I finished my daily routine and am about to sling my backpack to go downstairs but something in my bag brings back my distress and gloominess while I am stuffing my books in the bag.

Ayesha's POV.....

"Mom...where are my bicycle keys? I am getting late. Can you please help me to find them?"

"Nah, I am busy preparing your lunch. Check once again in your room"

"God!! Why do you swap things? It will be easy if you keep things where they are. Anyway... I...find them. Thankfully" I turn around to go and am shocked.

Never in my life did I expect to see Mini's parents at our doorstep. I freeze on my spot and become speechless for a second.

"H..He..llo" I awkwardly wave my hand at Mr. Singh. He gives me a half smile and looks at his wife. She seems unaffected by the fact that she's in his ex's house. "Please come inside" I manage to give them a warm welcome. I don't know what's wrong with Mr. Singh's brain. Like what is he thinking of? Yesterday, he confronted her about my existence and now he brings her to our house without any intimation. What the hell is happening in my life?

"Who are you speaki–" Mom is utterly shocked to see Mrs. Singh. Of course, any sane person would react like her. I clear my throat to bring her back to reality. She stares at me offensively. "What? This is not fair, Mom"

"It's me, Anika. She has nothing to do with this" Mr. Singh defends me earning a stare from both the ladies. I feel suffocating because of the tension in the atmosphere. "I...I need to go" I say hesitantly to escape from the situation. I feel awful for leaving Mom to deal with this situation all alone. Anyway, it's not like I can do something. Right?