Chapter 16

(18 years old - Next day)

My morning classes had just finished and I was making my way to Rosalind's office when I was intercepted by Saul.

"Off to Rosalind's I presume?" I could feel the twinge of pain coming from him. Probably a terrible hangover given the amount he drank. I smiled at the memory of me trying to warn him.

"Sadly" I replied to his question, rolling my eyes.

"Can't you just... I dunno quit? Is that even a word in your vocabulary?" He inquired, knowing full well the lengths I would go to to get something done.

"Yeah, you try telling Rosalind that you 'quit' the private sessions. That would go over so well. Besides, I need all the help I can get. Do you know how behind I am?"

We had now reached the hallway which held the door to Rosalind's office area.

"You're doing fine sunshine. You don't need to be constantly pushing yourself to prove something. You have nothing to prove to anyone." He gave me a kiss on the forehead before leaving me to enter Rosalind's office. I opened the door and walked right past her assistant, up the stairs and threw the door without a knock. I sat down in the chair by the table in the corner of the room. I tried not to yawn as I waited for Rosalind to finish up what she was working on. I was exhausted from last night. I was in my own world when suddenly I became very aware of an apple that had come flying my way missing me by inches.

"Awareness is how you stay alive" Rosalind stated and I turned towards where I had last seen her and she was now walking my way. "And fatigue is for the weak."

This lesson was just off to a great start.

"Light magic." Rosalind stated, and I thought fast trying to find all my knowledge on that type of magic knowing she expected a definition from me that was beyond perfect.

"The ability to manipulate not only light but what people see." I recited remembering the many times I had read that section of the hefty book Rosalind had 'assigned'.

"Someone's been doing their reading. Impressive. But can you make the apple resemble a burned one?"

I felt pretty confident with light magic compared to the others Rosalind was making me learn, but this task seemed extreme and beyond my abilities. I concentrated on the apple, taking in every aspect of it then trying to find resemblances between the apple and a burned one.

"You need to let go of whatever's holding you back, Farah. Let the magic consume you"

Rosalind's words sparked the anger within me. I always hated her whole theory on negative emotions and letting the magic control one's self. It seemed unreliable and unsafe. But it was the only way I'd been taught. She concentrated on the image of a burned one. The apple flickered into a taller figure for a second then gave out.

"It's no use." I said looking up at Rosalind, frustrated.

"What did I say about wasting my time Farah? Try again."

I was even more frustrated now. Couldn't she just understand that it wasn't happening.

This rush of rage filled my chest and then all of a sudden the dark, scorched form of a burned one stood in front of me. My rage was quickly replaced with fear and I stumbled back and as I did the burned one quickly turned back into an apple that hit the floor with a hard 'thunk!'

Rosalind smiled at the thought of her 'effective' teaching no doubt.

-------------------------------------------------------

(18 years old - Next week)

I was walking to the stone circle with the girls from the suite. It was early Saturday morning and I wasn't in the best of spirits. I had a late night last night training with Rosalind and now an early morning where I'd have to put up with Rosalind once more. Don't get me wrong I'm grateful for the opportunities to advance my learning and magic capabilities but I just don't trust Rosalind's methods. I don't trust the idea of 'losing control' and 'letting go'. I feel if I do I won't ever get that control back.

We sat down on one of the stone benches around the center pillar where the vessel sat. I watched Rosalind pacing slowly back and forth waiting for the rest of the third years. After a bit every third year fairy in the school had gathered around in the stone circle. Rosalind took her time to start.

"Today," Rosalind started, "You will learn to use your magic strategically in one-on-one combat." Rosalind's words along with her intentions worried me. I hated using my magic to do something as physically harmless as telling how someone is feeling, now she expects us to cause harm to one another using our magic.

"Bronte Anderson and Joseph Campbell" Rosalind motioned towards the vessel. Joseph, an earth fairy I'd met once before, got up right away and headed straight for one side of the vessel, trying not to look too eager and failing. Bronte on the other hand was a bit hesitant, but eventually made her way to the opposite side of the vessel. Anyone could tell Bronte wasn't wanting to participate in Rosalind's activities today, but unlike me Bronte is just trying to rush through her time here at Alfea, and if that means doing things she isn't proud of she'll do it in a heartbeat.

Before Joseph even had a chance he was flown back by a blast of wind coming straight for him. Without even a look back Bronte quickly turned on her heels and sat back down beside me. You could tell Rosalind was a bit annoyed that Bronte hadn't used the full extent of her powers. Rosalind's eyes landed on me and I quickly became very interested in my shoes. "Farah."

I stood hesitantly and waited as Rosalind scanned the crowd until she landed on a third year fire fairy: Eve. When Rosalind called her name the groups of third year fairies didn't seem too interested. None of them knew about my lessons with Rosalind so in their minds I was a harmless mind fairy. They weren't 100% wrong though; I didn't want to use my magic on anyone here, they were my classmates, some even my friends. I stood on one side of the vessel concentrating on the magic just underneath the surface, steadying my breathing and trying to figure out what I was gonna do here. Before I had even decided on anything Eve had sent a ball of flame flying my way. With not enough time to properly react it hit my right wrist with a hissing noise and left a painful burn on my arm that I'd have to get Rose or Ben to look at later. Still in pain I pulled myself back up right when another ball was right at me again, this one hitting my left shoulder, and I let out a little gasp of pain. Another one came and I ducked, it missing me by mere inches. Another one came and skimmed my side. That's when the switch flipped. I shook with rage and threw my hands out in frustration. My eyes glowed a faded purpley-blue and Eve dropped to the ground holding her ears and screaming in pain. The rage took over for who knows how long until I felt a gentle hand on my back and I was pulled back to reality. I looked over my shoulder and saw Estella with Dawson and Bronte waiting behind her.

"Come on," She whispered, "Rose went to go get some supplies, let's go meet her at the suite and get these burns cleaned up."