Chapter 28

(21 years old - Early March)

We turned the corner ducking into a bundle of bushes and hoping the burned ones would take a bit to find us and allow us to catch our breath. Though I felt this tug in my gut nagging at me, and Saul being Saul obviously noticed my uncertainty.

"Farah, what's wrong?" He asked, concerned. "Did it break your skin?"

I couldn't form words, I just shook my head, the emotion growing inside me. Finally words managed to stumble out of my throat; "I-I c-can't" I didn't want to do this at all let alone now but there were so many influences that led to this decision, one big one being our daughter. I couldn't let this relationship live off of a lie, yet I also couldn't let him bear the burden I've had to live with.

"Can't what?" Saul asked, his concern growing by the minute.

"Marry you!" I spilled out, a bit shocked at how abrupt I'd been. "Just Rose.. an-and..." I trailed off overwhelmed and scared I'd almost spill my secret.

"Fay, what happened to Rose was tragic but, that's not us. Tell me you don't love me, Farah."

I stared at him blankly, not able to do as he asked. "You know I can't do that Saul."

"Then why are you trying to end this like it never happened. Is it Rosalind?" He whispered back, trying not to be heard by any nearby enemies.

"Saul, I-"

The sound of a burned one in the clearing on the other side of the bush cut me off. We looked at each other then we both jumped right into action as if this conversation never happened.

Later when we returned to camp we still had not gotten to continue our conversation - and I did not intend to. When he went off on some important mission to find someone I took the opportunity to move my belongings into Bronte's recently vacated tent.

-------------------------------------------------------

(21 years old - March)

It was midday, it was mostly cloudy but every once in a while the sun would shine down through the tree canopy. Ben to my right and Saul and Andreas to my left as we all followed Rosalind, mentally preparing ourselves for the task ahead of us: the task that would end the war.

Saul and Andreas soon split off, and then left me and Ben to follow Rosalind. We continued through the forest, the dampness from the earth floor seeming into my boots, then finally we emerged from the terrain of thick trees and out into the rolling plains of grass. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest as we started to climb a grassy hill that would soon lead us to a cliffside looking over the small town of Asterdell.

We made it to the top of the hill and the view was breathtaking, yet also unsettling. The small town of asterdell sat too quiet, even for an evacuated city.

"This doesn't feel right" I said, looking over at Rosalind who had her gaze focussed on the town of Asterdell.

"You do want this war to end, yes?" She answered after a minute, finally snapping her eyes to me. I nodded uncertainly. "Then work, not worry Farah. The town was evacuated a few days ago, all that remains are Burned Ones." I glanced back down at Asterdell. "Now let's make this short and sweet." Rosalind started to summon her magic and the magic of the land. Ben quickly joined, wanting revenge for Rose and for the end of the war to come. I was more hesitant. I watch the town of Asterdell for a moment before moving my glaze back towards Ben and Rosalind and finally giving in, joining them and drawing all my magic and opening myself up to the world around me.

When I came back to reality, the not-so-quiet town of Asterdell was now in flames. The clouds parting to reveal the clear blue sky that seemed so out of place. I could hear and feel the screams of the innocent civilians being burned alive. It was too late, nothing more could be done for them. The pain and fear of their emotions over taking me in seconds. I look back at Rosalind, tears in my eyes and a look of disbelief stamped on my face. Saul came sprinting up the hill behind us, his eyes immediately landing on the town of Asterdell. When I studied him more closely the dried blood and many cuts upon his face stood out instantly, but so did one other important detail.

"Where's Andreas?" The words came out in barely a whisper, because I knew already that I did not want the answer.

When the flames settled and burned out, the remains blackened and smouldering, I had managed to find my way safely down to the town of Asterdell. I walked among the remains, the sights my eyes laid upon were appalling. You could make out the corpses of the people burned alive, men, women, children, whole families. And not a single burned one among the losses to my knowledge. The tears started to well in my eyes again, threatening to escape down my cheeks.

When I couldn't stand walking amongst the debris and death, I slowly and steadily found my way back to where everyone had gathered.

"You're a monster!" I shouted, trying to reach Rosalind but Ben and Saul quickly held me back against my protests. My magic, already prickling in the air.

"Do step down from your podium Farah, it's rather late to be taking the moral high ground now. Judge me as you please, but you also helped eradicate that town." Rosalind smirked, her ease boiling my blood.

"On your orders!" I shot back, wanting to defend my actions. "Why? Why did you let me, us, believe you had evacuated-"

"Are you going to cry for the dead? For the families you just killed? Don't be so pathetic Farah, this town was nothing more than a means to an end."

I was suddenly grounded by a gentle hand placed on my shoulder. I looked away from Rosalind and found Saul, his gaze soft and calm, bringing me back down to earth, letting me know this was a fight for another day. So without another word I started back towards the forest that would lead us back to camp.

These horrid events, this war crime, should never face the world for our realm is in a state of instability and doesn't need another war. Asterdell will forever live within our memories and nightmares.

-------------------------------------------------------

AN- I was struggling a bit with the Asterdell scene because I wanted to keep in line with the information we got in the show and also wanted to add detail so this is what it has come to at the moment. I might redo it at a later date but hope you enjoy it!