Chapter 6

Rain fell hard in New York City, but not as hard as the tears. Peter hugged Gwen tightly as the funeral went on, unable to hold back his tears himself. Peter looked down at the casket covered in layers of roses, anger and rage filled his body. "I'm sorry Mr. Stacy, I couldn't save you," Peter thought. He clenched his fist, "I promise I will avenge your death."

After the funeral, the attendees went to the Parker house for the wake. "I'm so sorry for your loss sweetie," Aunt May comforting Gwen. "Thanks Mrs. Parker," Gwen sniffed still crying. MJ and Ava hugged Gwen and comforted her the best they could. "If you ever need anything, we're here," Ava said reassuringly as she rubbed Gwen's back. MJ wiped the tears from Gwen's face, "It'll be ok, we'll be there for you." Gwen smiled weakly, "Thanks you guys, I really appreciate it."

Peter sulked in the corner, still deep in thought about the incident. "I could've saved him, am I still not ready to be a hero," Peter asked himself. He glanced at Gwen who met his gaze and smiled. Peter let out a pitiful sigh, "How can she still stand to even look at me after I failed so miserably?" Peter walked upstairs into his room and closed the door behind him. Peter took off his suit and put on his costume.

He was about to jump out of the window went he heard a voice, "Where are you going?" Peter looked behind him and saw Ava standing in the doorway. Peter didn't look at her, only making eye contact with the ground. "I'm going out, I need to clear my head," Peter replied. "You can't leave now, Gwen needs you," Ava reminded Peter. "Because of me, Gwen is this way," Peter snapped before swinging out of the window.

Ava sighed in defeat and left Peter's room. Peter swung over the streets of New York, unfazed by the pouring rain. He didn't concentrate on where he was going, only on the fact he needed to be far from home. He didn't even notice the large face of Jonah bashing his name as he swung by. Peter stopped on a skyscraper after a few minutes of swinging around the city.

He looked at the sun set out in the horizon, the sky was a bright orange. Peter took off his mask and stared at it. "I should just give up being Spider-Man," Peter groaned. "Then who's gonna protect the city from baddies like me," asked an anonymous voice. He turned around to see Felicia in her Black Cat costume. He raised an eyebrow, "What are you doing up here," Peter asked her suspiciously.

She walked over to him, "It's my apartment building, it's also my launch pad for my Black Cat nights." Peter's brow furrowed, "Ok, if we're gonna be together you're gonna have to stop with the villainy." Felicia shrugged, "I can't make any promises. Anyway, what's with the gloomy look?" Peter sighed, "Gwen's dad died and all my fault."

"Ooh bummer, but that's nothing to be moping over," Felicia said watching the sun disappear. Peter shot a crossed look at her, "And why is that?" Felicia played with her platinum blonde hair, "One death shouldn't cost the deaths of many others. The world needs Spider-Man whether you like it or not, and last time I checked there weren't anymore guys out there with spider powers."

"But you don't get it, how can I be Spider-Man if it's his fault for the death of my lover's father? She'll never forgive me," Peter groaned. In a fit of frustration, he punched a satellite dish on the roof, knocking it over. "There goes my cable," Felicia grumbled.

She hugged him from behind, "Is she mad at you?"

"No."

"Does she blame you for her dad's death?"

"No."

"Then shut up and be a man," Felicia said playfully hitting the back of his head. "But..." Peter started but was cut off when Felicia put a finger up to his lips. "Go to her, she needs you right now and I need to hurry to the museum," said Felicia before hopping off of the skyscraper. Peter followed her curvy body move as she scaled the buildings. He put on his mask and zipped away back home.