Chapter 23

"So, have you and Peter finally hooked up?"

Mary Jane choked on her orange juice, trying to cough quietly as to not draw the attention of the other patrons of the restaurant. "Aunt Anna," MJ scolded her chuckling aunt in between coughs.

"What," said Aunt Anna, defending herself, "I honestly want to know."

"That's a really personal question," said an uncomfortable MJ

Aunt Anna shrugged, "I mean you told me you had moved in with him and you've been around each other for so long that I was certain you would have done something by now. Maybe like a quick heat of the moment thing..."

"Oh god, Aunt Anna," exclaimed MJ, not wanting to allow her to finish the embarrassing sentence. This is not what she thought she would be talking about when her aunt had invited her out to brunch.

"Does he still live with May," asked Aunt Anna curiously.

MJ hesitated, "Yes."

"So he still doesn't have his own place yet," deadpanned Aunt Anna.

"He has a place," MJ hastily lied, "He just... let's Aunt May stay there. You know so she doesn't have to struggle with expenses herself."

"Oh, well that's nice," said Aunt Anna as she forked some of her food, "So, where is it?"

"Upper East Side," replied MJ with a grimace.

It was Aunt Anna's turn to choke. "He can afford a place out there," Aunt Anna gasped, "What does he do?"

"He... uh... does jobs for the government," answered MJ, trying to put on a convincing smile.

"What kind of jobs," probed Aunt Anna.

"That's confidential," said MJ, shrinking under the gaze of her incredulous aunt and that stupid cocked eyebrow of hers. It wasn't like MJ could tell her aunt that Peter was Spider-Man and that SHIELD had given him the penthouse because Doctor Octopus and his goons destroyed the house in Queens. She technically wasn't lying, it just wasn't the entire truth. She didn't know how Peter was able to do this since he was 15.

"Are you planning to settle down with him," Aunt Anna finally asked after a lengthy pause.

"You're asking a lot of questions," said MJ, trying to deflect the question.

"Well are you," Aunt Anna asked again.

MJ thought about the situation she had with Peter and the two other women she shared him with. "I don't know," she answered softly.

"Well you need to know soon," said Aunt Anna, "Yeah the partying and shacking is fun for now. But you're not getting any younger."

"Aunt Anna, I'm only 20," said MJ

"And in 10 years you'll be 30," replied Aunt Anna, "Time flies when you're having fun. And one day, you'll wake up and those 10 years will have come and gone. Peter's a good guy with a fine head on his shoulders. You know, you two getting together was the main reason May and I introduced you to each other." The words of her aunt resonated in the mind of MJ. So far, everything was smooth sailing with Peter, Gwen and Felicia. It was fun fooling around with them. But, her aunt was right. MJ loved Peter deeply and she knew he felt the same about her. And about Gwen. And about Felicia. That's when reality puts a spike in the heart of their fairytale dream love triangle... or square... whatever it is. He can only be with one of them in the end.