Chapter 1

"Miss Lancaster? Please fasten your seatbelt. We will be landing soon."

I looked up from my phone at the flight attendant who was smiling at me. She was way too happy this early in the morning.

"Yeah okay." I grumbled back at her.

My attitude had no affect on her smile whatsoever. The woman walked away and closed the door to the cabin.

It had been a long year at boarding school in New Hampshire. My father couldn't make the graduation ceremony so he sent his private jet to get me as a sorry instead of making me fly first class.

I honestly didn't even want to go home. I wanted to go to my boyfriend, Erics home in upstate New York for the summer. His family loves me.

Father insisted that I come home so he could spend time with me before my first semester at Stanford.

I'd probably only see him 3 times over the next 3 months. He's a very busy man.

My father owns about 150 clubs across America. He also invests in small businesses and uses his recourses to make them successful. I think he is part owner of like 50 businesses in California alone. I stopped paying attention when he started investing elsewhere.

The one thing my father doesn't invest in is time with me. It definitely hurt my feeling when I was younger but now I don't really care. He keeps me happy with a large allowance and free reign to do whatever I want.

After the plane landed at Van Nuys airport I walked into the airport building. Usually my dad sends Paul, his driver, to pick me up but he was no where to be found.

Instead I saw a woman with a sign that was just a crumpled paper with my name written in sharpie. Interesting.

The woman holding the paper was looking around anxiously. I had never seen her before. She was beautiful. Her long brown hair was straightened and fell around her face which had a pair of glasses on it. She had on a grey pencil skirt and a white blouse. There's no way she could be much older than me.

Must be another assistant my father hired to "assist him." He does have a knack for going through assistants. That's why he hires like 5 of them at a time.

I laughed to myself and walked over to the woman.

"Nice sign." I said gaining her attention.

"Oh.... Uh.... Yeah.... When I got here I realized you wouldn't recognize me since I was just hired." The woman reached out her hand to shake mine. "I'm Emilia Cole."

I took her hand and shook it.

"Hello Emilia. Shall we?" I said dropping her hand and motioning for her to lead the way.

"Do you have any bags?" She said turning to walk towards the door.

"The pilot will make sure they get to my house." I followed.

She crumpled the already wrinkled paper and shot it into a trashcan as we walked out.

We walked into the parking lot. She pulled out her keys and opened the door of a what looked like a early 2000s Honda civic. It looked like this might be its last drive.

"Is this thing safe?"

"Of course it's safe! My dad taught me how to maintain it myself." She smiled.

"That doesn't reassure me." I groaned.

"Well you can either get in the car or wait here for an hour for a Uber. Your choice." She shrugged getting into the drivers seat.

I climbed into the car and folded my arms. This might be the ghettoest car I've ever been in.