Chapter 3

Thank god it's Saturday.

Since there was nothing on my schedule I laid in bed until 11 am.

When I finally hyped myself up to get out of the warm blankets I went downstairs to the kitchen for some coffee.

When I walked into the kitchen Emelia was sitting at the counter in a pair of sweats and her hair tied up in a messy bun. Her glasses were at the tip of her nose while she was focusing on the laptop in front of her.

I avoided her eyes as I drug myself around the counter to the coffee pot.

"Good morning Miss Lancaster." I looked back at her and she had a grin on her face.

"Listen if we aren't in front of anyone you can call me Clara. Miss Lancaster makes me feel way older than 18." I frowned at her.

"Okay. Clara." She nodded at me

I turned around to find that the coffee had already brewed.

"I watched you make it yesterday. I figured as a good assistant I'd have it ready for you this morning." I turned around again to look at her.

"Uh....... thank you Emelia."

"Don't mention it." She smiled then looked back at her laptop.

I poured myself a cup.

"You know..... you don't have to be my assistant on the days we have nothing scheduled. You are free to do what ever you want." I took a sip of my coffee and walked over to sit by her.

"Your dad is paying me a lot of money to be your assistant at all times." She didn't look up from what she was doing.

"Well if he's paying you such good money why are you driving such a shit box?" I laughed.

She looked at me and for the first time since I met her she had a frown on her face.

"My dad got me that car and I love it."

"Listen I'm sure your dad wouldn't mind if you traded it in for a newer model." I joked.

"Well since he died 4 months ago I don't think he would mind." She kept the frown on her face and looked back at her laptop.

Oh shit.

"Emelia, I'm sorry. I had no clue." I put my hand on her wrist instinctively.

She sat in silence for a moment then looked at my hand that was on her arm. She moved her eyes to me.

"I know you didn't know. I'm sorry. It's just a little fresh still you know. I didn't mean to react like that. It was totally unprofessional." A tear fell down her cheek.

Before I could think I moved my hand to her cheek and wiped the tear away. Our faces were very close. I had a sudden urge to lean in and kiss her.

I quickly pulled my hand away and leaned back.

"Well seeing as you live in my house I'd say we are past the unprofessional line. I think of you more as a partner in this." I shrugged completely ignoring what just happened in my head.

She giggled "true. I guess we can just try to be friends." I nodded my head.

"Can I ask you a question since we are friends now?"

"Of course."

"Why did you apply to work for my father? I mean you seem like so much more than assistant material."

"Well...... I told my dad before he died that I'd assist your father. They were friends I guess." She continued typing something.

"Oh..... I'm sorry I keep making you bring up your dad. I'm so sorry you lost him. I can't imagine how you must feel."