Chapter 6

I stayed at Stacey's until Wednesday morning.

I've decided my best course of action is to see Emelia as little as possible.......... At least until I see Eric.

The only reason I'm going home today is because I have that meeting and my father might kill me if I miss it.

I parked the Jeep in its usual spot and didn't bother unstrapping the surf boards. Someone would take care of it.

I hung the keys and ran straight to my room to shower and get ready to meet with Mr. Fry.

I decided on a army green skirt that went to my knees and a black long sleeve top and I let my hair air dry into it's natural waves.

It was around 1030 when I finished so I reluctantly walked down stairs to find my assistant. I found her in the library with her laptop.

Her eyes were studying something on the screen and She hadn't noticed that I walked in yet.

My heart started beating faster the moment I walked into the room. I realize now that I missed seeing her more than I thought.

She continued sitting there still not realizing I was there until I finally cleared my throat.

She looked up at me and then stood up.

"Oh hello Miss Lancaster. Thank you for not forgetting about the lunch today." She looked away and started packing up her computer.

Something in the way she spoke to me was different........ colder I think.

"Uh..... yes. I'm sorry I've been gone...... I.... Uh... wanted to hang out with Stacey because..... I've missed her."

She grabbed her bag and started walking by me.

"No explanation needed. Your personal life is none of my business." She smiled and then walked out the door leaving me standing in the middle of the room with my mouth open.

I chased after her down the hall.

"Emelia wait...." I grabbed her hand as I caught her "did I do something to upset you?"

She looked down at our joined hands for a moment as if deciding on something then dropped mine. I felt cold immediately.

"It would be nice to know if you weren't coming home so I didn't have to stay up wondering if you were okay...... like any.... Uh.... Assistant would." She looked into my eyes and I saw a sort of pained expression that I didn't understand.

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize........... I......."

"It's fine. We need to get to this lunch. I'll meet you there." She turned to walk away and I grabbed her hand again.

"Emelia. Please stop." She spun around angrily. "First of all, I have no clue where this lunch is. Second of all why would we not just ride together? Third of all, I'm sorry I upset you. I should've let you know I wasn't coming home."

She looked into my eyes now and she had a sad expression. "I was worried about you." She said in a quiet voice.

I felt butterflies erupt in my chest. I wanted to pull her into me and hold her and never let her feel sad again....... But I know that was wrong.

I gave her a reassuring smile "I'm okay. Listen......" I took my phone out of my purse and handed it to her. "Put your number in so I can let you know when I won't be here. I should've asked you for it a while ago I was just......" I stopped talking before I said something I'd regret.

She studied me for a moment then took my phone.

She handed it back to me then sighed "let's just get through this lunch." She turned and walked towards the garage.