Chapter 24

Three weeks later I was standing in front of a hole in the ground.

I knew it was coming and I was still unable to dodge the uncontrollable grief that took over my body.

Watching the men in black suits I didn't know lower my father's casket into the ground, knowing I'd never see him again made me dizzy. My knees tried to buckle but Emelia stood beside me, holding me steady.

He's gone.

It happened three days ago.

*flashback*

I have been flying back and forth from Stanford for the last 2 weeks so I could see my father as much as possible.

I got home around 5 and went straight to his room where Emelia was already at his side. She gave me a small smile and a tear fell out of her eye.

"No" I ran over next to her and took my fathers limp hand.

"No.... Please." I sobbed.

I leaned down and placed my head on his still chest. I cried into it. I felt a hand on my back rubbing comforting patterns there.

I stood up after another moment and looked at Em. She had tears in her eyes and she looked so tired.

"It happened right before you got here......... he tried to hold on. To say goodbye. He asked me to give you this." She handed me a note. "Ill let you have some privacy." She wiped her eyes and turned to walk away.

I grabbed her hand quickly. With my broken hand and winced "Please, I don't want to be alone." I begged. I couldn't stop the tears from running down my face.

She looked at me for a moment with a sad expression then wrapped her arms around my neck pulling me into her. I put my arms on her back and hugged her tightly. I cried into her shoulder for what felt like hours. She didn't complain or even move away.

"I'm so sorry. It'll be okay. I'm here. Tell me what you need." She whispered into my ear.

"I....... I need to go do my homework." I half laughed half cried leaning back so I could see her face.

She gave me a small smile "okay." She pushed some hair behind my ear.

I looked back at my father and sighed. "I wish we had longer."

"I wish that you had longer too." She nodded her head.

"We better leave so they can come in and take care of him." I wiped my tears from my face.

"Okay." She said softly then took my hand and led me to my bedroom.

We have been sleeping in here together whenever we were both here for the last 3 weeks.

Emelia has been so busy since taking over the company that I've only seen her a few times. I know it's the job......... but it doesn't mean I dont miss my girlfriend.

We sat on the bed and Emelia held me on her lap. That's when I realized I had the note from my father still. I opened it and began reading.

<Princess,

I wish I had more time to teach you. To hold you. To tell you I love you. Time is a fickle thing though. As soon as you want it to go faster it goes slower, and when you want it to slow down it speeds up. This world is measured in time. Birthdays, new years, minutes, hours, days. All time. The only real thing you can control about time is how you use it.

I regret how I used mine. So tied up in making more money, getting the best deals. I should've spent more of it with you. Told you I love you more. But another thing about time is it only goes on.

I want you to spend your time without regret Clara. Without restraint. I want you to love deeply, passionately, and whole heartedly.

Please don't worry about how to run the company. Don't try to do things like I would. It's yours now. The company isn't my legacy. You are.

Emelia will help you. Watching you with her these last days has made me happier than I've been in a while. Take care of her. She's a keeper.

Always Remember, The bad news is time flys. The good news is, you're the pilot. >

I didn't realize I was crying until I looked up at Emelia. She pushed my hair out of my face and kissed me softly.

*flashback ends*

After the funeral Emelia and I drove back to the house together. The funeral reception was being held somewhere else but I absolutely did not want to go. She agreed and drove me home.

We walked in the door and I sank onto a couch. She stood in front of me with her hands on her hips. "I have to fly out to New York tonight." She frowned.

I groaned then grabbed her hand and pulled her onto the couch so she was straddling my lap. I put my head on her chest and she rested her chin in my hair.

"I know. You have to go back to school anyways. Aren't you paying for an apartment there?"

"Yes." I spoke into her cleavage. She giggled.

"Have you slept there once?"

"No." I still spoke into her skin.

"How about I fly there after my meeting tomorrow. I can help you decorate." She grinned.

"The head of Lancaster industries does not have time for interior design." I leaned back and looked into her face smiling.

She shrugged "no...... but I have time for you." She cupped my cheek and kissed me.

She pulled away still cupping my cheek. "You are everything to me." She spoke looking into my eyes.

I felt butterflies erupt throughout my body and I smiled back at her. "I love you."

She grinned back "my three favorite words."

She pulled me into her and we kissed passionately. We kissed until I needed air.

When we broke apart Emelia climbed off my lap and sat next to me.

"I'm so glad my father hired you." I laughed.

"Me too." She giggled taking my hand in hers.

"When I first met you I thought I was gonna hate you."

"Remember when you thought I was your new step mom?" She said laughing

"Oh god, don't remind me." We both laughed.

We sat there for a moment then Emelia stood up.

"I better go pack." She gave me a small smile.

"Okay." I frowned.

"Oh come on. I'll see you tomorrow in Stanford." She said pulling me off the couch.

"I know." I frowned.

"You'll be done with university before you know it and then we can spend every day, every business trip together." She smiled wrapping her arms around my neck.

"I know....... But being with you and not being with you is the only way I measure time."

——————————————————————

The END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I may write an epilogue so keep an eye out for it!

Did you like the book?

Kinda a rollercoaster.

Thank you so much for reading. Seeing your comments makes writing so much more fun ❤️❤️❤️~ R