Chapter Fifteen: Guess The Leader

Challenge?!

"What is... Going on?" Nakangiwing tanong ni Arya nang lumingon ako sa kanya.

"I'll explain the mechanics, hurry up, jewels!"

Nagkatinginan kaming lahat. Tumango si Mariana at nagtungo kami sa gitna ng quarter. Sinabayan ko sa paglalakad si Eleana.

"Wala ba tayong klase?" tanong ko sa aking katabi.

Nagkibit balikat si Eleana. "Hindi ko alam."

I pursed my lips. Based from a story that I had read, second day of schools are usually the starting of regular classes. May mga teachers ng pumasok sa classroom at magbibigay ng quizzes... Pero bakit challenge ang binigay sa amin dito? 

"A-1, C-3, P-4, and D-5 are also starting their first challenges, S-2." Unang sabi ng babaeng nasa speaker nang makarating kaming lahat sa gitna ng quarter. Umupo sa sahig ang lahat nang makarating kami ni Eleana kaya ginawa rin namin iyon, nasa pinaka-likod kami umupo.

"PPAE houses the potential leaders, am I right? But PPAE only needs one leader."

Lumunok ako.

"But let me answer the question from adorable Zoe first. Why one hundred when I said yesterday there were two hundred of you? Simple, PPAE is divided into two. But don't get the school wrong, PPAE is not an all girls school nor," naputol sa pagsasalita si Zelda nang magsimulang umingay ang paligid ko.

Nagbubulungan ang mga kasama ko at dinig na dinig ko ang kanilang pagtataka.

"An all-boys school. We simply divided the two hundred jewels that we found into two. And coincidently, both gender equal in number. Currently!"

"The girl's cabinet is the shadows of the boys. Since some believe that boys or males are superior to females. Do you agree to that, my precious jewels?"

"Of course not!" Cally and Stacy said in unison.

Kinuyom ko ang kamao.

"I supposed you already understand what I mean? At some point, a group of chosen girls and boys will clash. And only one of them will be the next potential president of Elecia. Yes! In an early age!"

"But the problem is... There are many of you. The school prepares four challenges before some of you girls will clash with the other side of the coin and vice versa. Out of one-hundred girls... Only five will remain. We only need five survivors in your pack. And five survivors on the boys' side."

Nakakabinging katahimikan ang pumailalang sa paligid. I feel the cold sweats building on my forehead. Sobrang dami namin tapos... Lima lang ang kailangan?!

"And if you are not greedy, responsible, and courageous enough, it will lead you to death..."

Death?!

"PPAE is not your ordinary school! We don't want the remaining 190 of you to stay alive. Remember our golden rule? No one should know the school. So try your best to survive every challenge... Your life is on the line."

Nakakabinging katahimikan. Palakas ng palakas ang pintig ng aking puso. Ang hirap huminga... Ramdam na ramdam ko ang tensyon sa paligid. Hindi ko kayang maigalaw ang aking katawan. I-I want to look at my classmates... But it seems that my head frozes on spot. A drop of sweat run down my cheek and that's when it get me... PPAE is crazy!

I did not intend to enter a school to become a leader! I enter here for the reason... To make my mother's wishes. And keep moving forward. Whenever life gets me. What will benefit me if I became the next president of a country... That I don't even truly know! Yes! I want to help people... After what I had witnessed, I want to change their law. But... Becoming the president is only the way that I could see. And they are taking advantage of my... My...