P A S T ➢ i

"welcome to aspen heights high."

"hey," he said quietly.

"i'm genevieve -nobody calls me that though," she chuckled lightly, "call me gennie."

"gennie?" said the boy, leaning on the front office door. wearing black jeans and dark, green hoodie. his black, slightly shaggy hair contrasted with his chocolate brown eyes. his mysterious, quiet aura was ironic next to the smiling girl.

"g-e-n-n-i-e," she said each letter one-by-one, "like jenny, but spelled differently."

"genevieve. it's an uncommon name," he said, furrowing his eyebrows.

"yeah, i hate it," she said, shrugging. she tightened her ponytail and gestured for him to follow her.

"i like it."

she gave him a small, shyer smile.

"so, yeah, i'm a junior. i'm also student body president," she paused, "wow, that sounds arrogant. i don't want you to get the wrong impression of me, i'm honestly quite humble. wait -uh, i must sound arrogant by saying that i'm humble -uh, i'm rambling, because, um-" she paused, looking flustered, which made her look cute, in his opinion.

"i'm a junior too-"

"so yeah, as student body president, it's kind of my job to show around the new kids."

"nice."

"you're rather quiet, you know."

"yeah, i guess."

"everyone gets a bit nervous when moving to a new place don't worry -this is the science lab, by the way, fun, fun, fun -but yeah, what made you move to the small boring town of aspen heights?"

"no reason," he snapped.

she opened her mouth, closed it, then opened again, "here's the english hall. the honors class, the regular academic class and ap."

"oh, guess i'm here then."

genevieve tucked a stray brown lock of hair away from her dark brown eyes, "ap english? i'm impressed."

his lips curled upwards for a millisecond and then resumed to his tight, cold persona.

her phone beeped.

"damn, student council meeting."

he looked at his watch, "it's fine-"

"i didn't get to show you the entire school," she frowned, "another time, or?"

he ran his hand through his hair, pushing it out of his left eye, "don't worry about it, genevieve. i'll find my way around."

she smiled, "take my number. if you need help getting around or you have a general question or whatever just text me."

he unlocked his iphone, opened his contacts app and handed his phone to her. he smiled as she typed away furiously muttering to herself about how iphones weren't nearly as good as androids.

he opened his mouth to contradict her opinion when she thrust his phone into his hand. she had set her name as 'gennie, not genevieve.' it was a wonder how she could make him smile though he was aching so much on the inside.

she was wearing the hugest smile, "it's gennie, okay?"

he shrugged, "whatever, genevieve."

she scowled.

"i didn't catch your name."

his lip twitched upwards once again, "well it's not nearly as unique as genevieve."

"i like simple names," she smiled.

"you'd better go to that student council meeting, ms president," he smirked.

"okay, mister no-name."

there was something about this girl that made him feel a strange feeling he hadn't felt in a while. perhaps happiness, he thought to himself. her friendliness gave him a relaxed feel. she was the sunshine and he was the rain. befriending her would be pointless. he opened his contacts app. his finger hovered over the delete button, but he couldn't bring himself to pressing it. it couldn't hurt to have her number.

a u t h o r ' s   n o t e :

whoa that was an interesting scene. so that nobody gets confused, that was a memory from the past. this wasn't a flashback or anything. this was simply a scene from genevieve's past. c:

i wanted to point out something about the chapter names. if it says:

"the ____ text." you can expect a text message conversation in the chapter c:

chapters names "past", "present" and "future" are chapters regarding something that has happened in the past, something that is happening presently in the story or something that our characters are hoping for (hence the name, future) if this makes sense please comment "!!!"

tysmmmm for all the votes and reads ! gms reached #2 in short story not too long ago, which was honestly amazing. i think i stared at my screen for a couple of *cough* hours *cough*, because i couldn't quite believe it hahah

sprained my right wrist (and i'm right handed yay), so thats healing. great. it was a perfect time to sprain my wrist -right before finals !! please note the sarcasm

hope you have a great day/night c: