P R E S E N T ➢ iv

genevieve stood beside him, as marshall bent down to placed a single white rose on his brother's grave. "jude," she read, from the stone.

he rose, closing his eyes, their shoulders touching causing her to shiver. he stood there, silently and she waited. 

"i think i'm fine now, genevieve," he said.

she turned to face him, "yeah?"

"yeah, i think so."

--

she loved it; the crisp air, the light wind, the budding leaves and trees. it had just rained. they had waited in the car, until it had stopped. marshall had insisted that they walk by the lake. 

"swansdownes a nice town," genevieve said, thoughtfully, staring at the water.

he nodded, "it's nice. aspen heights isn't too bad, but this," he pauses, "is home."

"we're seniors next year," genevieve muttered.

"i never thought i'd get through this," marshall said, tense.

genevieve looked at him, "but you did." 

"there's this nice restaurant down the boardwalk," marshall said, "it's really nice, somewhat fancy."

thankful she dressed nicely today, wearing tights, a pleated skirt and a black sweater, she nodded, raising her eyebrows, "is this a date, marshall grant?"

he bit his lip, looking shy, his eyes smiling, "is this, genevieve?"

they walked, shoulders rubbing, their hands brushing. she couldn't be sure if it was accidental or purposeful. 

the sky let out a rumble, a raindrop hitting her head. 

"marshall-"

rain pouring down which seemed like almost all at once. she let out a giggle. her laugh contagious. grabbing her hand -causing her to blush furiously, they walked briskly toward the restaurant. 

"we're soaking," she whispered.

the restaurant looked warm, "i don't think they'd be happy to have two sopping wet teenagers inside," he laughed. looking through the window from the outside, it had a pristine looking inside, the lighting soft, looking expensive. a couple with an umbrella pushed the door open, walking through, giving them a look of disapproval.  

genevieve's  hair was drenched, the ends dripping with water. his already shaggy dark hair, looking longer due to the rain. he pulled off his jacket, putting it around her shoulders. they were right outside the door, the music lightly filling their ears. 

she moved in towards him, "i don't think they would either." 

"i think we should be rebels," he whispered, "go outside our comfort zone, push the door open and demand them to get us a table." 

"we'll ruin their sparkling clean floors with our muddy shoes and order, with our wet hair dripping onto the floor," she giggled, shivering. 

their hands still entwined, they stepped closer together, "we'll order enough food to eat until we dry off," he said softly.

"sounds like a perfect date," she wasn't sure if he could hear her.

she didn't care that they were both drenched, the rain now lightly falling. she wrapped her arms around his neck, smelling his faded cologne, her face not even a centimetre away. 

"yeah," she heard him whisper. 

closing the space between them, her breathing in sync with his, the contact sent shivers down her spine. a soft music filled her ears; calming piano keys and lyrics which she would never forget.

"un peu de soleil et une pincée de pluie peuvent faire un arc-en-ciel."

some sun and a pinch of rain can make a rainbow. 

a u t h o r ' s n o t e :

i'm not going to tear up i'm not going to tear-

the last chapter is the epilogue <3

and then *gasp* the spin-off whoo

and, ofc, the sentimental 'thank you' page. 

and thank you to everyone for the birthday messages. 

i'm a whole year older, whoa?