Chapter 1: The Beginning

"95, COVER! TAR, WITH ME!"

"I CAN'T! LASER CANNONS AT 4, THEY'RE TRYING TO PIN US"

"OW! SCHEIE!"

"G36 REQUIRES MEDICAL ATTENTION"

"WE'RE 5 FUCKING MILES FROM THE NEAREST FRIENDLIES"

"WHERE'S THE HELICOPTER? WE CAN'T HOLD ON MUCH LONGER"

"ECHELON 2, SIERRA FOUR IS 12 MILES NORTHWEST OF YOUR LOCATION AND INBOUND. ETA FOUR MINUTES HOLD OUT!"

"SIERRA FOUR, I'VE GOT A VISUAL ON Y 36?.. G36!"

"TAR! WHAT'S HER STATUS?"

"..."

The heavy silence persisted.

"FUCK'S SAKE, TAR! WHAT'S HER STATUS?"

***

[ANNOUNCER]: "Train arrives in 30 seconds"

As I stood on the platform, waiting for my train to arrive so I could get to work and get my day iverwith, I couldn't help but daydream about something exciting happening in my life.

But that was just a pipe dream; nothing more than fleeting illusions. The harsh reality was that my life was a monotonous cycle of waking up, taking the train, and going to work. The mundane routine had taken a toll on me, draining the colour out of my days. It's like I have that aura that prevents anything juicy from entering my vicinity.

At that very moment, I felt like a mere onlooker, observing from the sidelines as others embraced the vibrancy of life. Their laughter, their animated conversations, and their zest for new experiences emphasized the stark contrast to my own stagnant existence. It was as if I had become an outsider to the joys and adventures that awaited others.

The charade of pretending to be content had worn me thin. The facade of faux-joy had become exhausting. I was done with the pretence, done with the stifling routine that suffocated my spirit.

I was fucking done. But what could I do to change my life? I've wrecked it already and getting back on track is merely a lucid dream.

[ANNOUNCER]: "Train is arriving."

The announcement broke through my thoughts, pulling me back to the present moment. I stood at the edge of the platform, gazing at the approaching train with its blinding lights. It almost felt like a metaphorical challenge, an unwavering stare from destiny itself.

And so, I stepped off the platform, a defiant act against the shit I've made of myself.

And the train, almost like returning the favour, crashed into me.

I plunged into darkness.

***