Chapter 36: Carpe Vinum

Back. Yay. Haha.

We're thrilled to announce our return after what feels like an eternity of 30 million years and endless exams. 

This chapter was written over the course of a month. If you come across any inconsistencies, please don't hesitate to let us know.

With that being said, enjoy! 

_________

A relatively uneventful helicopter ride, which was to be hoped and expected after all of the things we went through.

It seemed like grief didn't want to loosen its claws, especially on 9A-91. Two of her closest comrades falling in a matter of several minutes? That was disaster.

After a ride devoid of any voices, the helicopter landed on a piece of flat dirt which we dubbed the Helicopter Pad.

Kalina came fussing over the helicopter.

"Send the corpses to the hospital for repairs. Put the extra fuel costs on Heidens account."

"U-um, could i'll go with them. J-just in case." M4A1 asked.

"Yup, yup permission granted and whatever. Just make sure to come back." Kalina replied back

The helicopter started up and left

Commander Heiden was nowhere to be seen.

"Uh," I said weakly, managing to capture the attention of the others, "Return to your own quarters or something. I'll post updates on the channel."

They nodded.

Slowly, I slouched into the back door of the base, and upon entering, immediately laid my eyes on the couch.

Heiden was pacing back and forth in the living room, deep in thought. Upon noticing my presence, he tossed a can of juice towards me.

I caught it half awkwardly, almost losing my balance.

"Master," I finally say, getting myself together, "G36 reporting."

"I'm gonna call someone to repair your arms. Whoever took care of that did a horrible job."

I looked downwards at my arms, streaks of black tape running around it.

Truth be told it is indeed very ugly.

But weren't we financially broke? Plus Commander has to cover Mosin and AK-74.

"Commander. There is no need for repairs. I can stick with this for now." I feigned a grin, which naturally, didn't convince him at all.

"I'll figure it out. Don't worry. Drink your juice."

"Yes, master."

I collapsed onto the sofa, popping open the can, before chugging it down, savouring the taste.

"Woah, that was fast."

"Thank you, master. I have experience with beer."

...

"I gotta go speak with others. Take your time." Heiden tapped my shoulder, before exiting and heading to someone else's quarters.

It was only then did I notice how much of a joke I looked like.

My clothes were in a mess. The fabric was frayed in multiple places, revealing an uncanny amount of skin. The dirty stains only added to its unkempt appearance. The only elements that hinted at its former elegance were the surviving frills and patterns.