Chapter 13 || The Secrets

Y/n pov

Two days later...

The car pulled into the driveway of his parents' villa. I anxiously looked to my left and found him sitting with a calm look on his face, but I knew better. He was as anxious as I was. The only difference was that he could mask it while I couldn't.

"Ready?" he asked.

I let go of a shaky breath and nodded, tried to pull up a smile but was failing miserably. I was dreading the moment I agreed to come along. Family dinners at his parents' place had been a nightmare so far. His father hated my guts and had never shied away from showing his disapproval openly. That man didn't even care if he had an audience before passing snide remarks or giving me dirty looks.

"Y/n," my husband's husky voice called out to me, and he had my attention almost immediately.

Tae-hyung unlocked the seat belt, leaned forward, and cupped my face in his palm before he bent his head and pressed his lips against mine. I closed my eyes and gave into my yearning as I found myself kissing him back.

"Everything will be all right," he whispered against my lip. "Trust me."

"I do. That's why I'm here today," I whispered, pulling him in for one last kiss before we got out of the car and made our way inside the mansion. We were greeted by his mother and an over-enthusiastic Ji-woo.

"Thank God! You guys are on time. Ho-seok and his parents will be here any moment." Ji-woo clapped her hands together and sighed almost dreamingly. There was a cheerful smile on her beautiful face that lit her up and was infectious.

Ji-woo and Mrs. Kim led us to the living area where Kim Shin-jae was seated with an elegant woman across from him. She looked the same age as Tae-hyung and was beautiful, sophistically beautiful.

The woman saw us and rose to her feet. Her eyes lit up as she walked over to Tae-hyung to greet him. I saw green, though I had no reason to. But the admiration that shone brightly in the other woman's eyes was hard to miss.

"That's Lisa, Dad's best friend's daughter," Ji-woo told me, sensing my questioning gaze.

"But why is she looking at my husband like he's the last slice of chocolate cake on the planet earth?"

Ji-woo giggled. "She was supposed to marry him before my brother decided to sweep you off your feet. Lisa still has a not-so-tiny mini-crush on him."

My eyes went wide in shock. I stared at Ji-woo before stealing a glance at the woman who was now conversing with my husband. "What?"

"Don't be so dramatic. It was just Dad's wishful thinking to see them both married. Tae-hyung didn't agree, of course."

I was about to say something, but my husband interrupted. He wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me to his side.

"Lisa, meet my beautiful wife, Y/n. And Y/n, this is Lisa, a family friend," Tae-hyung introduced.

"Hello, Lisa. It's nice to meet you." I smiled politely at her.

"I can say the same." Lisa returned the smile which eased some of my uneasiness. That woman was gorgeous. No wonder Tae-hyung's father hated me. I was nothing like Lisa. It was hard to believe Tae-hyung rejected her. Was it because she was his father's choice? Would he have married her if she weren't?

Stop it! I chide myself for assuming things, but I couldn't help but wonder. I looked at Lisa, then at Tae-hyung, who was now busy talking to his mother.

Then there was his father who was glaring at me with that stony, cold look in his eyes that said 'you don't belong here.' I know that, old man.

I wasn't the only one who noticed the looks he was shooting my way-my husband did as well. "Ignore him, wife. It's just a matter of a couple of hours."