Chapter 18 || Hurting

Tae-hyung  Pov

“Why all of a sudden is there so much negative press about me? I don’t even socialize,” Y/n voiced out that morning when she came across one more tabloid article painting her to be a gold-digging bitch who had trapped the heir of the Kim family. I just got to know about them last night, and it would be an understatement to say I was pissed.

The articles started coming out after Woo-jin announced his engagement to Minji, Y/n’s older sister. Talking about my brother, he surprised all of us with his decision to marry Minji. It was evident theirs was no love match, but that wasn’t my business to worry about. He was a grown-up ass and knew what he was getting into. My plate was already full, and I didn’t want to add more to it by interfering in my brother’s life, who was capable of handling it.

“It’s Dad,” I told her.

“What will he get doing all this?” she asked with a frown that made me want to go on a rampage and kill whoever had hurt my little wife.

“You’ll be subjected to online bullying or trolling as they call it. People will talk bad about you, and lastly, paparazzi will hound you wherever you go,” I replied and felt my heart thudding loudly against my ribcage, understanding what my father was after.

He was making sure she gets tired of dealing with the bullshit that came from being my wife and leave me. Would she? So far, she hadn’t shown any signs. She gracefully accepted my past and told me not to worry about a thing. But for how long would she put up with my father when she didn’t have to?

Damn! I have to take care of him sooner. I needed to talk to my PI and tell him to speed up the investigation. The sooner I fixed the problem, the better it would be for me. For us.

“Pardon my French, but your father is a psychopathic bastard. He needs to be checked for mental illness,” she said, not quite mincing her words.

“Are you all right?” I placed my hands on either side of her waist and tugged her close.

“I’m fine.” She smiled softly. “But I’ll be skipping college for a day or two. I don’t think I can deal with those judgmental looks anymore without losing my mind and killing one or two. I need a short break before I go back.”

I cursed under my breath as guilt swarmed its way through me. No doubt she’d be facing hell at college.

“I’m sorry, sweetheart. It’s all because of me.”

“Ssh.” She placed her index finger on my lips. “Did I say you’re at fault?”

I kissed her finger and took her hand in mind. “Truth doesn’t need to be spoken aloud. It’s in front of us. If not for me, then you wouldn’t have been subjected to such humiliation.”

“It’s all right. I’m not hurt, and it’s not like your father will be on my back forever. A few months more, then…” Her smile faltered, so did the spark in her brown eyes.

I frowned at the sudden change in her mood. “Then? Then what, Y/n?”

She lifted her lashes and looked at me, “Have you forgotten the deal? A few more months, then I’ll no longer be your wife.”

“Said who?” I asked, tightening my hold around her possessively.

“Tae-hyung  …” Her brown eyes widened in surprise.

“Did we sign any contract? Any papers that said our marriage is only for a year?” My voice hardened. I didn’t intend to, but every time the talk of her leaving me arose, something clicked inside of me. Something primal, animalistic.