Chapter 11 Above and Beyond

In a room, Gabi is sitting alone in the room with her face close to her knees. "They're devils, though. So, why am I...?"

At the same time, Eren and Mikasa walk into the room. He says, "Hey, Gabi, right?"

"What...what do you want?" Gabi asks.

"If you want to save Falco, just help us." Eren says.

Gabi is shivering in fear and asks, "Help you? How?"

"Call for help on the radio to flush out intruders in the walls." Eren says, but just before he can continue, Pieck is already there as she is aiming the gun at Eren's head.

"Eren!" Mikasa tries to aim her rifle at Pieck, but she yells, "Don't move. And keep quiet, Gabi."

Eren also stops Mikasa and says, "Just do as he says, Mikasa."

Mikasa frowns as she lowers her rifle.

"I take it you're Eren Yeager, correct?" Pieck asks. "Gabi, aim the rifle at the Ackermann girl."

Gabi slowly takes the rifle to the ground and aims at Mikasa, but Mikasa doesn't seem to move as well.

"Hands out of your pockets." Pieck says.

"And what if I refuse?" Eren asks.

"I'll pull the trigger and your brain hits the floor. Ever seen it? No time to transform. Not only that, your girlfriend over there will also be shot at the same time." Pieck says with a cool and calm tone.

"And? Why don't you pull it? If not, why else are you here? What happens if I don't listen?" Eren asks.

"That's something you'll never know. Once your brains hit..." Pieck is cut off by Eren, "I do know. You won't shoot, and neither will Gabi."

Then he steps forward at the gun, putting his head at it. "You aren't allowed to kill the Founding Titan. Your orders are just to retake it. But for that, you'll have to turn into a Titan and eat me alive, right?"

Mikasa is still surprised at the calm tone Eren is giving them, maybe because he already knows everything about this part.

"Gabi, take your finger off the trigger." Pieck says calmingly, causing Gabi to be confused.

"You're not the only one who would pay for defying the military, your family in the zone would, too." Eren says.

"Yeah, I won't shoot. And eating you doesn't seem possible either, so..." She puts her own hands up, pulling the gun away from his head and casually surrendering.

"Pieck?" Gabi asks with confusion.

"You found my Titan footprints from when I invaded, right? I thought I did well sneaking into your midst without being caught. But I have other reasons for not shooting." Pieck says. "If you used the Founding Titan's power, couldn't you defeat Marley?"

Eren just stares at her without saying anything. "You wouldn't make the world your enemy unless you knew you could win. Do you have something more than the Founding Titan?"

"Pieck, what are you...?" Gabi asks, now trying to aim the rifle at Eren instead.

"Gabi, put down the rifle." Pieck says.

"Supposing I did, what's your goal?" Eren asks.

"To free all Eldians in Marley and around the world. I want to free my family in the internment zone." Pieck says. "I became a Warrior to get my dad, my only family, proper medical care. He survived, but he's incredibly sad knowing my term will soon be over. Before I do and leave him behind, I want to show him Eldia has a bright future. For that, Marley needs to be crushed. I'll help however I can. If we can slaughter Marley, I'll do whatever it takes."