Chapter 23 An Unwinnable Battle

"Let's go!" Commander Hange yells as they all jump out of the flying boat, Hange, Armin, Jean, and Connie are charging toward the Rumbling. Their actions are spotted by other people.

"Are those 3D Maneuver Gear?" "No way! It's the enemy forces from Paradis Island! And they've come to stop the Rumbling?"

Muller says, "We can't just sit there and watch, all of you, engage them with our cannons! We don't have time and fuel to load the weapons onto the airship, we have to do something!

"Mom! Dad!" Just then, Reiner, Gabi, Falco, Colt, and Pieck all rush to their families, all of them are surprised to see them rushing toward them and they all hug one another. Annie asks, "How did all of you get here? All the way from the Interment Zone?"

"Mr. Leonhart led us all here." This causes Annie to be surprised. "He's leading some people to the base over there, wanting to help."

Annie nods as she rushes toward her father. Reiner says, "Mother... none of us are Titans anymore. When the Rumbling began, our powers were taken..."

"Are you sure, I'm so glad." Karina suddenly hugs Reiner, much to his shock.

"I'm sorry, Reiner. I... I just need you by my side."

Reiner is having tears in his eyes as he hugs his mother.

At the same time, the forces of Marley prepare their cannons and they yell, "We can't give up either! Even if it's just a cannonball or two, it's still better than nothing!"

But as Mr. Leonhart brings some people to help, the soldiers notice that they used to have armbands. "You're Eldians aren't you?"

Before the refugees can shoot them, Leonhart yells, "Wait! Hold on!" He raises his hand and says, "We're just here to ask for help with our wounded!"

"We're in no situation to do that! What are you really here for?"

"Mr. Leonhart! Now do you understand? Marley soldiers aren't going to help us! Looks like we outnumber them! We have more experience in battle too!"

"We've been to the front lines time and time again, for the sake of you Marleyans after all!"

"Put down your guns, Eldians!" The soldiers are still trying to shoot at them.

"Stop what you're doing!" Muller arrives and he yells at the soldiers, "The world is about to end, and you'll still fight with each other? Maybe we ought to be trampled by the Rumbling, because that's basically the reason why it comes to us! Because of your constant fighting!"

The soldiers flinch and they also hear a voice, "Father!"

Leonhart gasps as the one calling to her are Annie, who rushes and hugs her father. "Did they hurt you, Father?"

"Annie? But what are you doing here?" Leonhart asks.

"I've come to help stop the Rumbling." Annie says. "I don't have the power of the Female Titan, but there are still friends from Paradis Island who is willing to help us stop the Rumbling. And we'll be going."

Then Annie leaves to meet up with the others, and at the same time, Reiner and the others also bid farewell to their parents and they all charge towards the Rumbling.

On Onyankopon's flying boat, Levi is lying on the seats as he thinks, "Even if I manage to find Zeke...I'd just be a burden in this state... damn it. I've never bungled one of his orders... not even once... and yet, for some reason, his final order is the one that I just can't... could it be that we finished our mission... way back then? When we got those brats to the sea? Did the part we had to play end here? Tell me... when you dedicated your hearts, was it to trample on the hearts of others?"