Chapter 4

At 7 PM, the sky was shrouded in twilight, and if it got any later, it would be swallowed by the stars.

In the attic of the villa, the doctor, Liao Li, coldly checked the thermometer reading and said, "Fang Bai, I don't understand why Xia Xia entrusted her daughter, Ji Yuning, to your care. What if Xia Xia finds out how you treat her? Will she come looking for you in the middle of the night?"

Liao Li was a 27-year-old doctor who was friends with the original owner and Lu Xia. 

Before Lu Xia's passing, the three of them would often play together, but after Lu Xia's death, Liao Li and the original owner had less frequent contact.

When Liao Li was 24, she met Lu Xia and Fang Bai, who were 32 and 21 years old, respectively. 

Despite the large age gap between them, Liao Li was still surprised that the three of them could play together and have so much fun. 

But as long as they had fun, who cared about age?

The past few years, Liao Li has been studying abroad and returned home only a month ago. 

Since her return, her work has kept her busy and she hasn't had the time to visit Fang Bai's house to check on Ji Yuning. 

Despite this, she had been in regular contact with Fang Bai through video calls and, as Ji Yuning appeared to be doing well, she believed that Fang Bai was treating her properly. 

However, a former friend recently informed her that this was not the case. 

Liao Li had intended to visit Fang Bai's house to verify this information, but was delayed by a surgery. 

Today, she finally had time to call Fang Bai and tell her she was coming, but just as she made the call, Fang Bai told her that Ji Yuning had a fever.

Upon arrival at the villa, Liao Li was horrified by the state of things. 

She was so angry that she wanted to give Fang Bai an anesthesia needle.

"Three years ago, Ji Yuning was still a chubby little girl, but now she's thin as a monkey! And what kind of room is she living in? It's not even as big as her toilet! Is this the best treatment you were talking about?" she exclaimed. 

It was clear to Liao Li that the rumors were true and Ji Yuning had indeed suffered at Fang Bai's home.

However, Liao Li managed to calm down and give Ji Yuning a thorough examination.

Upon doing so, her anger only intensified. 

She was shocked to see that the 16-year-old child was in such poor physical condition, with a body age equivalent to someone almost forty.

The numerous bruises on Ji Yuning's body only added to her outrage. 

Despite her anger, Liao Li tried to control her emotions and found that the fever was due to an infected wound.

Liao Li kept an eye on Fang Bai as she spoke, hoping to see a sign of guilt on her face, but she couldn't tell if Fang Bai felt any remorse.

She, on the other hand, felt guilty. 

Thinking about the fact that Ji Yuning had suffered from so much abuse for three years, Liao Li felt responsible for not giving her enough care.

She also felt guilty for being too trusting of Fang Bai.

As she spoke, Liao Li made a decision to take Ji Yuning away from Fang Bai once she recovered, otherwise, the guilt towards Lu Xia would continue to weigh on her.