Chapter 21

The dinner ended quickly.

As Fang Bai settled the bill, she and Ji Yuning walked out of the restaurant only to realize that they had forgotten to take the car keys.

Fang Bai asked Ji Yuning to wait there while she turned back and returned to the restaurant.

The dark clouds in the sky grew thicker, and pale gray wisps of clouds floated by as a cool breeze blew.

Ji Yuning stood beside the steps of the restaurant, absentmindedly watching the hurried crowd passing by.

Suddenly, there was a noise to her left, and Ji Yuning instinctively looked over. When she saw what it was, her calm eyes flickered briefly and a hint of brightness flashed across them.

Fang Bai exited the restaurant after retrieving the car keys.

Upon stepping outside, Fang Bai looked towards the spot where Ji Yuning had been standing but didn't see her there.

Descending the stairs, Fang Bai glanced to the left and finally spotted someone crouched near the potted plants on the restaurant wall.

It was Ji Yuning.

A look of confusion appeared on Fang Bai's face, but she didn't speak up and instead walked towards Ji Yuning, curious to see what she was doing.

Fang Bai took a step and paused as she noticed Ji Yuning's shoulders moving. It seemed like she was touching something with her hands.

"Meow~"

A cat's meow sounded, and a thin, frail gray cat that looked about five months old poked its head out from between Ji Yuning and the potted plants.

Ji Yuning shifted her position, holding onto the cat's leg with one hand to prevent it from running away, while her other hand caressed the cat, trying to make it comfortable.

Fang Bai stood there, watching the warmth between the person and the cat unfold.

The cat noticed Fang Bai's presence, and even though it had been obediently letting Ji Yuning pet it, it shook its body and escaped from Ji Yuning's hand, meowing, "Meow~"

Seeing the cat about to walk away, Ji Yuning reached out and held it in her arms, gently stroking its little head. "Don't wander off."

Perhaps afraid of startling the cat or for some other reason, Ji Yuning's voice, although still soft, lacked the usual coldness.

However, just as the cute little creature had been well-behaved a moment ago, it suddenly became restless and leaped out of Ji Yuning's arms.

"You—" Ji Yuning's gaze followed the cat's movement, watching it elegantly run towards the left where there was heavy traffic. It was unsafe. Ji Yuning wanted to call it back, but she noticed it crouched by someone's feet. Her gaze shifted upward, and the warmth on Ji Yuning's face instantly vanished. She pursed her lips, stood up calmly, and said, "You've come out."

Fang Bai lowered her head and glanced at the little one crouched at her feet, giving a slight smile. "Yeah."

At that moment, the cat meowed again and ran back to Ji Yuning's feet, rubbing its head against Ji Yuning's shoe.

Ji Yuning hesitated for a moment, then bent down and lifted the cat, turning around to place it where she had found it. Before leaving, Ji Yuning's hand brushed over the cat's ears.

The noise it had made earlier caught Ji Yuning's attention. When she saw that it was a stray cat, Ji Yuning didn't have much of a reaction initially. However, when she noticed the cat's battered body covered in bite marks, her thoughts turned to herself, and a trace of compassion stirred in her heart.