Chapter 5

As the needle was removed, Fang Bai intended to use her other hand to press down the medical tape, but before she could even pull her hand away, Ji Yuning tightly gripped it.

Fang Bai glanced up at Ji Yuning and noticed her furrowed brows.

After looking away, Fang Bai no longer tried to pull her hand away, but instead let Ji Yuning continue holding it.

So Fang Bai had to use an awkward posture to press down the medical tape with her free hand.

The room was silent, with only the sound of Ji Yuning's shallow breathing filling the air.

Fang Bai gazed at Ji Yuning's face, partially hidden in the soft pillow.

"I know from reading the novel that Ji Yuning had a stubborn personality."

"Yet, I wonder why Ji Yuning would deliberately provoke me."

Fang Bai felt guilty for causing Ji Yuning's fever, knowing that most of the blame lay with her.

However, the novel actually mentions that Ji Yuning would suffer from this type of illness.

Wu Mei noticed Ji Yuning's high fever, but the original owner didn't pay much attention to it, so Wu Mei could only secretly bought fever-reducing medicine for Ji Yuning to take.

Eventually, Ji Yuning lay in the attic for three days before she recovered, but her body had lingering effects that recurred in later chapters.

Fortunately, this time... the situation was timely resolved.

A minute later, Ji Yuning released her grip on Fang Bai's hand. 

Fang Bai took advantage of the opportunity to free her hand, remove the tape from Ji Yuning's wrist, and then reinsert her hand under the covers.

Fang Bai bent down, placed her hand on Ji Yuning's forehead, and noticed that the temperature had dropped significantly, indicating that there shouldn't be any major problems.

Fang Bai's gaze shifted from Ji Yuning's forehead to her lips, which were dry and peeling.

Behind her came the sound of the door opening and Wu Mei's voice, "Miss, you should return to your room. I'll take care of things here."

Fang Bai turned around and whispered, "Sister Wu, haven't you gone to rest yet?"

"How could I sleep when you haven't rested yet?" Wu Mei replied softly.

Fang Bai's mouth lifted slightly, "Thank you."

Wu Mei repeatedly said it was no problem, with a hint of embarrassment in her voice.

However, the real reason Wu Mei couldn't sleep was due to her confusion over her miss's sudden change in attitude towards Ji Yuning. 

"I couldn't figure it out, but I had a terrible assumption in my mind."

"I'm afraid that miss would take advantage of Xiao Ji's weakness and bully her again."

As she thought about this, Wu Mei got out of bed again.

"Sister Wu, could you get a glass of water for me?" Fang Bai asked.

Wu Mei agreed and quickly handed Fang Bai a cup of warm water.

Fang Bai took it and used a clean, unused cotton swab left by Liao Li to dip it in water. 

She then gently rolled it on Ji Yuning's lips.

The sleeping Ji Yuning seemed to be aware, her lips slightly puckering. 

The water softened the dry skin on her lips.