Chapter 14

Fang Bai noticed Ji Yuning's speechlessness and sighed for the second time that day, thinking to herself, "this child was still a young wolf cub and indeed inexperienced."

Approaching Ji Yuning, Fang Bai lifted her hand from behind and gently patted her head, intending to replicate what she had done in the car. 

But her unexpectedly soft touch made Fang Bai unconsciously rub Ji Yuning's head a few more times.

Realizing what she was doing, Fang Bai withdrew her hand slowly and coughed softly before saying, "I'm going to rest now, you can entertain yourself." 

Her tone was gentle, resembling that of an elder. 

Ji Yuning responded with a muffled "Mhm" and turned her head away, pursing her lips.

Fang Bai smiled slightly, revealing a shallow smile, and didn't say anything more, walking past Ji Yuning.

As they passed each other, Ji Yuning caught a whiff of Fang Bai's familiar sweet fragrance, which was even stronger than before.

Fang Bai returned to her room and had just laid down on the bed when her phone, which was on the bedside table, rang.

Picking it up, she saw a WeChat message from Liao Li.

Liao Li: [I won't be coming over this week, I have an out-of-town assignment.]

"..."

Fang Bai paused, realizing that she had made plans with Liao Li to have her visit Ji Yuning every weekend.

Fang Bai: [Oh, okay.]

Liao Li quickly responded.

Liao Li: [Would it be okay to video chat tonight? I want to talk to Xiao Ning.]

Fang Bai: [What time?]

Liao Li: [Around 9 pm.]

Fang Bai: [Sure.]

Their conversation ended there.

Fang Bai lay back on the bed and blinked at the ceiling.

Although Fang Bai could have given Liao Li Ji Yuning's contact information, she chose not to. 

"I'm afraid that Liao Li would ask Ji Yuning the same questions they had discussed last time and that Ji Yuning would agree to live with Liao Li."

So Fang Bai was on guard. 

That night when Liao Li called, Fang Bai handed the phone to Ji Yuning but didn't leave. 

Instead, she sat across from Ji Yuning and planned to eavesdropped on their conversation.

When Liao Li saw Ji Yuning's face on the screen, her first question was, "Xiao Ning, how's your health?"

Ji Yuning still remembered Liao Li. 

In her memory, Liao Li had been very kind to her, just like how Fang Bai had treated her when she was young. 

"But what happened in the end? Aunt Liao must also be a wolf in sheep's clothing."

Therefore, facing Liao Li, Ji Yuning didn't show much warmth and maintained a cold demeanor. 

"I'm fine, Aunt Liao." Ji Yuning responded.

Ji Yuning didn't ask why Liao Li knew she was sick. 

"It was probably Fang Bai who had told Aunt Liao about it."

"In my memory, Fang Bai, Aunt Liao, and mother were good friends."

"Although Aunt Liao went abroad, Fang Bai should have kept in touch with her."