Chapter 20

The room suddenly fell silent, and one could hear a pin drop.

Fang Bai faced Ji Yuning's gaze without any avoidance, and her eyes were so clear that Ji Yuning could see her reflection in them. 

Similarly, Fang Bai could also see her reflection in Ji Yuning's eyes. 

As Fang Bai noticed the cold smirk that flashed across Ji Yuning's eyes, she knew that what she was about to say would sound like a joke to her. 

However, she had no choice but to say it to make it clear that she had changed. 

If she didn't, Ji Yuning, who lived in resentment, would never realize it.

Fang Bai had planned to wait for an appropriate time to say these things, but the sudden turn of events had interrupted her plans, and she had to ask now, which she considered not the best time. 

Though Fang Bai had anticipated the outcome, she felt a hint of resentment rising in her heart as she watched Ji Yuning's every move, looking at her as if she were watching a clown walking on a tightrope. 

Running her tongue over the roof of her mouth, Fang Bai lowered her gaze slightly and said firmly, "You don't have to answer my question right now."

As she looked at Ji Yuning's mocking gaze, Fang Bai's eyes began to wander, but her tone of voice remained firm as she continued, "I know this is unfair to you. I hurt you, and I am the one seeking forgiveness. I just want to let you know that from now on, I will never do anything to hurt you again. I will do my best to make up for the harm I have caused you."

Ji Yuning couldn't bear to listen anymore. 

Though the painkiller had taken effect, she couldn't suppress the faint pain in her heart. 

She didn't know what was going on, but all her memories, which had long since been numb to Fang Bai, were awakened by the slow words she heard from her now. 

Each one of them was from Fang Bai. 

Ji Yuning softly called out, "Fang Bai." 

Her voice was low, but her tone was as cold as ice.

Fang Bai was stunned.

It was the first time she had heard Ji Yuning call her by her full name. 

She had to admit that she was intimidated by Ji Yuning's aura in her tone of voice, though it only lasted for a short three seconds. 

Fang Bai quickly snapped out of it, her lips stiffly curving upwards, "What's up?" 

In this situation, Fang Bai forgot to correct Ji Yuning's address. 

She just wanted to know why Ji Yuning had called her by her full name.

Ji Yuning's tone of voice was emotionless as she asked lightly, "Have you had enough fun?"

Fang Bai didn't understand and instinctively asked, "What do you mean by 'fun'?"

Ji Yuning's eyes darkened, and she couldn't help but admire Fang Bai's acting skills. 

For a moment, she didn't know whether to praise her for her poor performance or for playing her role so well. 

It was so poor that she could see through Fang Bai's sudden change at a glance, her open display of goodwill, and the sincere promise she had made just now, as if she had become a different person. 

It exposed her to the warm deception and immersed her in the family fortress she had built for her. 

It also made her... for a moment, almost fall into the gentle trap Fang Bai had set for her and indulge in the affectionate stronghold she had built for her.