Chapter 12

Fang Bai stood a few steps away from the escalator on the first floor, patiently waiting for Ji Yuning.

On the escalator, Ji Yuning was dressed in a blue and white school uniform, with a high ponytail. 

"If it weren't for this child's expressionless face, Ji Yuning could fully embody the beautiful youthfulness of a high school student."

Fang Bai didn't know if Ji Yuning's words were sincere or a twisted sense of humor, but as she watched her come down, she realized that a child's words had scared her.

Of course, the main reason was Fang Bai's fear of the death scene of the original owner.

The escalator soon arrived on the first floor, and Ji Yuning slowly walked towards Fang Bai.

As she approached, Fang Bai couldn't tell if it was her imagination, but the interplay of light and shadow seemed to reflect a smile in Ji Yuning's eyes.

Fang Bai was momentarily taken aback. 

"Did I just see a smile? "

However, after two more glances, she saw nothing. 

Ji Yuning's eyes remained distant.

Ji Yuning approached, her eyes met Fang Bai's, and she asked with a hint of doubt, "What is Aunt Fang looking at?" she asked, kindly addressing her as Aunt Fang, seeing she had scared her.

Feeling embarrassed, Fang Bai looked away and said awkwardly, "It's nothing. Let's go. Uncle Li has been waiting for a long time."

Ji Yuning followed behind Fang Bai.

After taking two steps, Fang Bai slowed down her pace until Ji Yuning was shoulder-to-shoulder with her, and then she resumed her normal pace.

As they drove back home, Fang Bai rested with her eyes closed, while Ji Yuning remained seated, lost in thought and staring out the window at the passing scenery.

When they finally arrived home, Fang Bai had fallen asleep in the car, and Uncle Li had to wake her up. 

When she woke up, she was still feeling groggy and her tone was lazy.

"Xiao Ning," Fang Bai called.

There was no response.

Fang Bai looked to the side and saw that Ji Yuning had already gotten off the car.

Fang Bai: "..."

Fang Bai picked up her bag and got out of the car slowly.

Wu Mei was waiting behind the car and noticed the pile of bags in the trunk. 

Then she asked, "Miss, should I put these in your room or in the wardrobe?"

Fang Bai looked at Ji Yuning and replied, "They're all for her, just take them to her room."

Wu Mei's eyes widened in surprise as if she had heard something incredible. 

She looked at Fang Bai and asked, "All... all of them are for Xiao Ji?"

"No," Fang Bai said as she walked away from the garage then continued, "There are also two clothes for you and Uncle Li. Take them out and give them to him."

Wu Mei's eyes started to well up with tears, and she turned to her miss, asking in a trembling voice, "Miss, did you really buy clothes for me too?"

Fang Bai took a moment to recall and remembered that she had bought two pieces of elderly clothing and said, "Yes, I did."

Wu Mei was deeply touched. 

"Although miss had always treated me well, this was the first time I had received a gift from her."

Putting her thoughts aside, Wu Mei bent down to pick up the bags from the trunk. 

Seeing this, Ji Yuning hurriedly leaned over and said, "Aunt Wu, I'll take them."

Wu Mei smiled at Ji Yuning and said, "Let's do it together."

Then she added, "Xiao Ji, miss is treating you very well now."

"So, buying some things makes it all better?"

Ji Yuning lowered her head, her eyes dim and unclear as she replied, "Hmm."

What Wu Mei meant was that her miss was treating Ji Yuning much better now compared to before. 

Not only did she give her more living expenses, but she also took her shopping and didn't scold her for her actions.

After taking the bags out of the trunk, Wu Mei said a few words to Uncle Li and handed one of the bags to him. 

She then called out to Ji Yuning and led her into the house.

Ji Yuning walked beside Wu Mei, listening to the rustling of the bags rubbing against each other. 

She paused for a moment and said, "Aunt Wu."

Wu Mei responded, "What's wrong?"

Ji Yuning said seriously, "I have a question to ask you."

Initially worried that Ji Yuning would say something serious, Wu Mei now smiled and said, "You can ask me anything."

The two of them had already entered the living room.

The hall was empty and looks like Fang Bai had already gone upstairs.

Ji Yuning stopped in her tracks and asked, "How did I end up on the second floor the last time I had a fever?"

Ji Yuning remembered waking up in a guest room on the second floor.

Following Ji Yuning, Wu Mei also stopped, and upon hearing her question, smiled and said, "Miss carried you from the attic to the second floor."

"The answer I received was the same as what I had guessed an hour ago."

Ji Yuning couldn't describe the feeling in her heart.

"I was familiar with the scent on Fang Bai's body because it had pulled me out of a nightmare."

"But now I suddenly realized that the person who pulled me out was also the one who created the nightmare..."

After Wu Mei finished speaking, she remembered the clothes that Fang Bai had purchased for Ji Yuning and her. 

She hesitated for a moment before continuing, "When Miss learned that you had a fever, she immediately called a doctor to the house. Not only did she carry you downstairs, but she also took care of you until your fever subsided."

Ji Yuning was stunned, her indifferent features showing a hint of surprise and said, "Wasn't it you, Aunt Wu, who took care of me?"