Chapter 7

After finishing her evening self-study at 9:30 p.m., Ji Yuning stayed in the classroom for a few more minutes before walking to the dormitory building with Mu Xuerou.

Since they lived in different dormitories, they said goodbye before reaching Mu Xuerou's dormitory.

However, as Ji Yuning continued to walk forward, Mu Xuerou called out to her.

Seeing the calm and dull look in Ji Yuning's eyes, Mu Xuerou refrained from saying what was on her mind and simply said goodnight softly.

Ji Yuning nodded in response, turned around, and walked alone around the corner.

The dormitory was a common eight-person dormitory with bunk beds facing each other. 

Ji Yuning's bed was on the far right.

She returned a bit later than usual, and there were only two people in the dormitory.

The others had already gone to wash up, and when they saw Ji Yuning come back, they simply glanced at her without a word.

Upon walking past the two, Ji Yuning headed straight for the balcony.

The two stopped being silent and leaned in to chat.

Although it was small talk, they didn't lower their voices, as if intentionally wanting Ji Yuning to hear.

"She thinks she's all that? Who is she trying to impress with her poker face?"

"Just ignore her. You don't know her situation."

"True. Even if she's acting tough, she's just a dog someone else raised. But judging by the way she is, she might be a good dog that wags its tail only for its owner..."

...

Ji Yuning ignored the mocking and insults and calmly opened the storage cabinet on the balcony.

She then removed the adhesive strip from the bag.

The bag that had been sealed for an entire afternoon suddenly got the chance to breathe, and a sweet fragrance rushed out first, finally prompting Ji Yuning to contemplate what was about to be revealed.

Ji Yuning calmly stretched the bag's opening wide enough for her to see what was inside.

Two small bags of milk-flavored candy, two bags of fruit-flavored hard candy, and a can of... yellow peach

All of these are some things to coax children.

Ji Yuning raised her eyebrows in disdain at the contents of the bag.

"I was past the age of following someone just because they gave me candy."

"Was that woman giving me these things to mock me for being childish?"

"Although I didn't want what that woman had given me, I couldn't just throw them away."

"It would be a waste of food, wouldn't it?"

"If it's expired, I could throw it away without feeling guilty."

Ji Yuning was about to put the bag into the cabinet when she noticed there was something still attached to the canned peach.

Without hesitation, she pulled off the blue note that read, "Take care of yourself and study well."

She crumpled up the note, intending to throw it away, but hesitated and eventually tossed it into the bag.

She then took out the canned peach and checked for any other notes before discovering a box underneath the four packs of candy.

As Ji Yuning looked at the white rectangular phone box with a certain mobile phone brand logo, her lips were slightly pursed and half of her face was in shadow, making her expression impossible to discern.