Chapter XII

°•. ❃ .•°
̶̶̶̶  «̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ «̶ ̶̶̶   estrangement   ̶ ̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ »̶ ̶̶̶  

≪ °❈° ≫

The sun rose and the girl's lungs filled with the marine air, startling her awake with the realisation she was not at home.

Today the chiefs' kids would be showing them the reef of Awa'atlu. At'anau knew reef people spent a lot of their time in the water, but she didn't expect to contribute to this adaption so soon after their arrival.  

The whole family had gotten ready to go their ways to learn from the people and the kids were the first to leave when Tsireya, Ao'nung an Rotxo awaited them at their marui pod. 

The youngest kids all followed the three others, but before At'anau did so as well she went to her mother who watched her children leave. "Don't you think I'd be better with you and Tsahik?" She didn't particularly like Ronal, but the water seemed less approachable at that moment than the woman who had done nothing but make them feel like a burden until proven otherwise. 

The mother collected her stuff and shook her head to which the daughter lowly begged so her father wouldn't hear "but, mothe-" Neytiri's eyes were enough for the girl to lower her head and quiet down. 

"I need you to think of Tuk, okay? " She turned to her father who invited himself in the conversation. "It's not easy for anyone, but she looks up to you so whatever you do she does, you understand me?" 

At'anau looked at her father and thought of her siblings, they were all not the happiest to be here. And recalling yesterday's spilled emotions she concluded it was her job to conceal those tones and colour the palette different shades for her siblings to see a better picture. 

"okay," she nodded, complying to her father's words "I understand." 

But her mother knew better. 

The girl turned back around and straightened her back as she went the way her siblings walked off with the oldest by her side who had waited for her. 

At'anau realised the pods were situated over the water so access to it was the most efficient. The shore merely under their feet for them to jump into. Neteyam sprinted to keep up with Lo'ak who was about to jump in after the children and sprung in with him. Kiri joined and Tuk watched the sister with a fond smile but doubt in her eyes. She had tried to gather momentum, but her legs wouldn't throw her off. It was then she was picked up in the air, released a cry before blowing bubbles in the water she was thrown into by her biggest sister. 

Reaching the surface she wiped Tuk's hair out of her face who blew raspberries of sea water in her face and let out a laugh as she smiled amusingly. looking down at their surrounding under the surface, At'anau swallowed the anxiety that rose as she felt restrained under the water. 

Tuk inhaled, filling up her lungs and cheeks with air before diving down, unable to hide her curiosity of all the different colours beneath her. 

At'anau joined, out of urgency to know the environment she intruded rather than curiosity. She stayed close to the youngest whose hair danced around her face in the water and watched the animals around them almost ignore them. the fish swimming around were small, but foreign. At'anau wasn't well known with the creatures of the sea and their level of hostility so it didn't quite matter for them to be big or small to keep the girl on edge. 

Noticing in the corner of her eye the two chief's kids and their friend swimming further away from them she tapped Tuk to join them quickly. All four of them had the same slow pace and trouble keeping up with the others as their arms weren't used to the force of the water.