Chapter XXXXXXVI

°•. ❃ .•°

̶̶̶̶  «̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ «̶ ̶̶̶  To Know When      ̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ »̶ ̶̶̶  

≪ °❈° ≫

At'anau didn't notice the doubtful faces all three boys wore when they went out beyond the reefs. It was dark, the waters were unknown, and no one knew how deep they were about to go down. All three of the ones behind the girl soon started to question if their decision to be led by her was a very smart one. 

At'anau quickened her pace, almost eager to arrive at the sunken wreck, but in reality she just needed this to be done, over with, so she could rest maybe even try to find closure with the loss of her mentor. Finding Ateyo was a purpose of the search all kids were informed about, but At'anau was doubting announcing her second quest.

When they'll have found Ateyo they will bring them back on land, have a proper burial the Metkayina way and continue living on, but truth be told if At'anau didn't know if she was as eager to immediately return to the land awaiting her. 

Where her youngest brother awaited her, Kiri and Tuk who were still in need of their sister. And Spider, whose life was secured in exchange of her brother's. 

If it weren't for the certainty of the death of the murderer, she wouldn't know how to find peace with the human still alive.

She often fought the whispers of her disbelief in his death. The man had to be gone. The ship exploded, flooded. The sully family had barely made it out, the ones that did. Yet a the odds were never zero, but it needed to be enough for her to believe it without seeing it.

Neteyam died saving the son of the man who killed him. She often questioned how she was able to live unsure of his end.

"We're here."

At'anau flinched out of her thoughts by the foreign voice. The oldest boy, whose name was still unknown to the girl had spoken and At'anau looked down at the dark waters beneath them.

The girl almost scoffed. The abyss beneath her unknown, dark and dangerous. Yet she remained unfazed. If it were months ago the girl would quiver in fears, bite down on her teeth blood would come out of her gums, but that hour, that day, after what had happened. The girl didn't even feel the need to question when to lower herself down.

"Ao'nung," the boy looked up immediately, his name so pretty on her tongue yet spoken with poisonous "with Rotxo," he wanted to intervene immediately but she caught him to it "The interrogation room. I'll lead you to it." a second passed, but it was obvious the girl wasn't done speaking. The words stayed on her tongue before she spit them out coldly "The rest is up to you."

The younger boy looked up at the chief's son without question, but with an unwritten emotion. The three boy's weren't sure why the girl was setting them up to do something themselves, yet Rotxo showed that he obliged, he seemed to believe the girl would have her reasons.

The truth is At'anau was starting to doubt her abilities to re-enter the room she was supposed to have died in, and face the man who took that hit for her.

"I want to go too." The girl eyed the curly haired boy who held doubt in his eyes, but the determination in them was stronger. At'anau wasn't sure why he waited on her with his look as if he needed her permission to go. "I knew him," At'anau stayed indifferent at the statement "way before." then she blinked and understood. Ateyo never told the girl he had any family, and the boy didn't really look related, but they must have had a longer relationship than the girl had with any person from Awa'atlu.

"I see," the girl lowered her gaze just a little until another voice jumped in "be quick." 

"why aren't y-"

"we will." Ao'nung's voice interrupted the boy's who quieted down after taking the cue just a second later. 

The curly haired boy nodded at At'anau and took the cue, tightened the grip on his reigns and breathing in before out, training his breathing and calming his nerves before being the first to go down

Rotxo followed quickly after, plating the breath aiding creature on his back when he encountered one. 

At'anau almost thought she missed Ao'nung's departure, but just before she turned around to check, the rippling sounds of the water echoed. 

Soon it was her turn to breathe in and out, not to train for the water, but to mentally prepare for what she soon needed to face again. 

≪ °❈° ≫

I've got nothing to say, happy new year 

questions comments concerns?

xoxo