Chapter XXXVIII

°•. ❃ .•°

̶̶̶̶  «̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ «̶ ̶̶̶        Taking it Personal      ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ »̶ ̶̶̶  

≪ °❈° ≫

Dawn hadn't fully broken through before a silhouette was at the family's tent. Jake who stood at the opening of the tent to collect his daughter held in his hands different preparations he and Neytiri had crafted in gratitude for the family's effort as he was granted entry by the woman and passed her the basket of goods. 

When the man looked at his daughter she had already been awake, downing a cup of water passed by the younger girl. 

The man minded his volume speaking to the girl as it was still early and she looked delicate in his eyes. At'anau watched her father lower down next to her as she sat up and place a hand on the back of her shoulder "hey sweetheart," the man felt the girl's forehead with the back of his hand "how are you -you feeling alright?" 

The girl nodded to the father who looked at her almost searching for a flaw or a crack before they both stood up, greeting the family who took care of the girl and making their way to the pod. 

At'anau walked in front of the father who held his eyes on her before anything more could go wrong. Guilt of the words he had said the night before clouding his mind as he was unaware of his own daughter's state, but too occupied on all she had done wrong in his eyes instead. 

When she entered the tent it was empty except for the youngest and her mother who walked towards her the second she had laid eyes on the girl. 

The woman delicately held her daughter's face in her hands while she pressed her cheeks against hers like she'd always do. 

The girl reassured her mother she felt fine besides the fatigue looming over her even if she had just woken up from a slumber. 

Tuk called for her oldest sister from the floor she sat on and the girl joined her, leaning against the make shift walls of the pod as she answered the burning questions the girl asked of what had happened. 

Sugar coating her accident the girl ended it with a saying that it all happened because she 'didn't listen to their father.' 

The man caught the words as the two kids conversed, but didn't butt in. 

The girl had been honest when her sister asked what had happened with the shell she had been wearing around her neck every day which was absent and felt her heart swell when the sister said it didn't mind as long as her sister was safe and sound. 

At'anau had almost forgotten how she adored spending her time with her youngest sister by just being beside her. She had been so caught up in reminiscing her home far in the forests, she overlooked the one she had right there. And maybe she was ready for it to be enough and all she'd need. 

The girl had enough time to think about all that had happened in Awa'atlu since their arrival and had come to the conclusion her luck in her recklessness had run out. 

It all started with her sneaking beyond the reef, taking things in her own hands and forcing the results down her family throat for them to accept, but only to be offended by the resistance they gave and adding to the chaos by feeding them with more irresponsibility.

If she hadn't been so desperate to prove herself to her father and the reef clan she wouldn't have to put up with the boy which she led in to her accident as well by her own behaviour. 

If only she had just nodded and did what had been asked she would have been left alone. 

She concluded she needed to focus on the now instead of the woods on the other side of the ocean and her home she yearned returning to. 

"you feeling alright?" 

At'anau looked up from the basket she had been weaving and looked up at the two pair of eyes of her parents. 

The man searched for the truth in his daughter's eyes as she only nodded. A tired smile on the corner of her lip as she assured her father she was indeed alright. 

The mother continued her work on the meal and asked her daughter what she wanted in addition to the fish on the fire, but the girl had answered she wasn't hungry and would suffice herself when that time would come. 

When the hour mid day happened the Sully kids returned from where they had spent their day and sat down to eat. 

Neteyam caught his sister's eye contact for a second before she warily averted it. He wondered if the girl was upset with him for telling their father about her doings. 

Neteyam could explain himself to the sister and tell her he did it out of precaution, not knowing what had happened to her, but he decided it didn't matter and she wasn't stupid and would understand. 

The girl acted busy, keeping her hands in action by helping her mother who was asking her children all different types of things. 

Sitting next to Kiri, At'anau was dislodging every small bone in Tuk's fish as she was too small to do it on her own. 

Neteyam took the empty space next to his sister and sat down just as she stood up, moving from one side of the girl to the other without granting her brother a look.

The parents noticed the action, but decided not to speak on it. Not wanting a discussion to arise at a time the girl only needed silence and knowing blaming any one of the two would do more damage than good.

It would be a lie if Neteyam said he was unaffected by the manner, this being the first time a sibling rejected the other, but At'anau didn't forget how it was his fault the girl was banned from seeing her Ikran and the reason the father had taken the girl's loyalty in consideration. 

She would forgive him, if she hadn't already done it, but the aftermath off her disappointment was what would take a while. 

After the dinner the kids where fetched by the Metkayina children. All of them joining the girl and her brother with Rotxo expect for the oldest girl who helped clean the place with her mother. 

Tsireya was about to walk off with the group before she looked back, watching her brother eye the girl and the way she stayed back. 

"At'anau?" 

The girl looked up at the voice and watched Tsireya stand in the mouth of her tent. An inviting look in her eyes as much as it was questioning. 

The girl halted in her movements, eyeing the father who caught her gaze. He watched his daughter ask for permission with one look and nodded after a second as it only mattered for him if the girl felt capable on her own. 

Without a doubt the man knew her brother would be holding her under his sight like a hawk either way. 

With that the girl stood up and joined the children on their ilu. 

≪ °❈° ≫