4. The big fat sum of it all

Having felt so resolute from the night before, I'd gone to bed early and managed a really decent nights sleep before waking up this morning at 7 am.

By 8 am, I've had coffee and breakfast and am sitting making a list of what documents I need and in what order before I even head back into that room.

I list everything I think I'm going to be searching for and head upstairs to face the boxes of documents, letters and photographs.

Considering I read each paper before deciding which pile it goes into; love letters, government orders, photographs or secret information about Harold Holt.

Now that I'm able to see the results of my days work, the four distinct piles and neatly stacked paperwork are sorted by date.

Deciding I've done enough work for the day and I feel like I've earned a nice dinner.
I make a reservation for in an hours time, so I can shower, select an outfit and make my way there.

Soaking in the shower is relaxing my muscles, calms my racing thoughts and removes the dirt, dust and grime from my body.

I wash my hair before I rinse off the conditioner and realise my stomach is gurgling exceptionally loud.

I forgot to eat today!
That'll be the cause of the noise in my belly!

Now that I've had toast, fruit and coffee I feel far more equipped to handle today.

Taking my notes I head back up the stairs to the room from the day before.
I immediately sit down and arrange everything within arms reach of me.

Three large boxes of documents, five archive boxes and my notes, then dove my hands into the first box.

Three or so hours later and I have finally finished sorting my piles.

Now that I have all the documents into piles of what they are, which, judging from the sizes of the piles, I have the most Government documents relating to 'Harry' Holt.

This is where I'm going to start.

Picking up only five envelopes from the top of the pile, I open the one on top.

Harold Holt: Family

What a heading!
Now I'll automatically know who the future files refer to.

WIFE: Dame Zara Kate Bate
Job: Australian Fashion entrepreneur

Son: Nicholas Holt born, in 1937

Son: Andrew Holt born, in 1939

Father: Thomas James Holt, died 1945

Mother Olive May Holt nee Williams, died in 1924.
This was post-divorce, and then she passed while Harold was young.

Brother: Clifford Thomas Holt
Born, 1910

Cheviot Beach 17th December 1967,  a week before the Holts' planned Christmas holiday near Portsea, Harold Holt flew to Melbourne for a peaceful weekend break there. On the afternoon of 17 December 1967, he disappeared in heavy seas while swimming. 

Cheviot Beach. Harold Holt was the third Australian Prime Minister to die while in office.

With Harold Holt in office, The White Australia policy was dismantled, piece by piece, over decades spanning governments both Liberal and Labor, but from 1966-67 Holt government's reforms were critical steps in the process, constituting a significant break from past practice.

THIS POLICY CANNOT BE CHANGED.

Financials, childhood history, family health issues and allergies, explanations to any and every question one might have about the man.

Friends, he had over the course of his lifetime, lovers, rumour confirmations or denials and clear concise facts regarding Harold.

After noting the important documents and their contents on my own paper, I reach over to the request forms.

Adelle,

Befriend Harold.
Ask lots of questions and if he gets curious on why, seduce him.

Your secret admirer.

Adelle,
Harold needs to know you're not a flake, prove your loyalty to him.

Your secret admirer.

Adelle,
Harry needs to know your history, here is the one we have crafted for you.

You introduced yourself as Marjorie Gillespie, this persona, so follow on with these details.

Your secret admirer

Adelle,

Harry is the Minister for Immigration and plans on altering the "White Australia Policy".
Find out as much as you can about this and get back to me.

Your secret admirer

Adelle,

Harry's plan cannot be stopped and we need you to step in and help.

Your secret admirer.

So basically my Nanna, Adelle, was the government's go-to person for messes like these.

Harold Holt was trying to change the world, not just our country, one policy at a time.

Being the Minister of Immigration would have given Harold a very good understanding of what life was like for those needing enter to the country. The unfair treatment of 'undesired immigrants' (those without a European background) were given a dictation test they could not have possibly passed.

Harold very much disliked the White Australia Policy, as not only was he trying to bridge Australia with Asia, creating the part of the world known as Australasia. Harold also wanted Aussies comply with the decimal currency, to again, bridge the gap between us and the Eastern Sea Board.

Not to mention he was trying to get the natives to our land, the Aboriginals, the right to be counted in our Nations census.
A referendum vote occurred and Australia voted "YES!" To letting this occur.

As Treasurer of the House of Representatives, Harold managed to weather the tough seas of the great depression.

All the facts point to Harold Holt being a genuine upstanding man of that generation.

I have a question that I need to know the answer to, so pull out my mobile and google "Did Harold Holt have a mistress/lover?"

Marjorie Gillespie is rumoured to be Harold Holt's lover and was present on the day Harold was declared missing at sea from the coast.

Nanna - was Marjorie Gillespie.

My head is spinning with all this new information!
Who knew my Nanna was such an influential woman in her youth.

How did I not know this?

Do my Dad and Uncle Mark know this and this is why they sent me here to do this - so I would learn on my own?

I. Need. Closure!!