16. A Christmas family holiday

And so there it was, the bombshell I'd been dreading.
Harry is to get be murdered.
The government refuses to let the White Australia Policy be dismantled, so they plan on myself being with Harry, where he needs to be for all of this to happen.

I can't tell Harry, outright.
I most definitely cannot discuss this with my family.

What can I do? What action can I take or not take to ensure Harry stays alive!
Internally, my mind has far too many half thoughts which fractures my thinking. These left over pregnancy hormones are only adding to the mess.

I want to see Harry. I want to hug him and ensure to myself and my own mind, that Harry is still alive.

Overwhelming emotions overtook me. My breaths came out in pants, I started to sweat excessively and my chest... Gosh! My chest! It started tensing up making breathing even more difficult. My heartbeat thundering through my body making my head ache.

Thankfully, Anne was home and must have heard my gasping or distress and barged in with a plastic bag.

"We don't have a paper bag, but this should do, Addy. I want you to slowly breathe in for a count of four and exhale for a count of six. We need to slow your heart rate down"
Anne said. She tried to embrace me, but decided on rubbing circles on my back in a slow rhythm.

"That's it Addy, keep going. In for four, out for six. Well done." Anne kept encouraging me.

Once my breathing and heart rate slowed down, Anne decided to jug me afterall and simply whispered, "what happened? It must be serious for you to struggle to breathe. Adelle, talk to me! I can't help if you don't let me in!" she cried.

I had rivers of tears flowing down my face which when they hit my lips tasted very salty and incredibly sad.

I can't tell Anne, no matter how much I want to! But I refuse to put myself as a priority when my situation is not only about me nor even my daughter but Harry as well. I know we'll never marry or even to be able to be together permanently.

Especially if he's not going to be alive to do so.

Once I had stopped crying and my breathing had settled and all that could be heard was my sniffling and small hiccups I decided I had to lie.

"I just found out I've been approved for teaching school! On a full scholarship, too! But all the way in Queensland. It's going to make my life ridiculously crazy and I guess I got a little overwhelmed at even the idea of trying to study to become a teacher and work and raise Rose. I am OK, and I will continue to be OK because as a mum, I don't have the luxury of staying overwhelmed."

Anne eyed me up and down sceptically, almost as if she could sense I was lying before giving me a nod.

"That's not a problem, Adelle. I need a new job, and Queensland will give me the chance to spread my wings. Why don't we both go up there, and we can support each other. I will need to tell Mum and Dad what we're planning on going and staying, so I think it's important to introduce Rose to her other family members." Anne said clearly.

"I'm scared, Anne. I don't want to disappoint Mum and Dad. They have done and given me so much. I just cannot do that!" I responded.

"Addy, Mum, and Dad are going to be proud as punch about being accepted to University! Especially when you've not only been accepted but on a full scholarship as well. Think about it, please?" Anne pleaded with me.

"I'll think about and let you know." I said.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Before I knew it, the Christmas holidays had come around. This meant the beachside holiday so his kids could meet and spend time with Rose.

I packed for the two of us and ensured Delores was ready to travel, also.
There was a car that Harry had pre-organised to hold the three of us.

It drove us from Sydney all the way down to Victoria. Out as far as the south eastern suburbs.

Given that it was a ten to twelve hour drive, the driver made sure to stop many times for us to stretch our legs or go to the bathroom, not to mention food and drink breaks.

Once he delivered us to Portsea where the hotel was located, the driver opened our doors and helped us with our luggage. The Portsea Hotel, our stunning accommodation for the next while. Built and hanging almost on the cliff, giving a completely clear 180° view of the sparkling ocean. It was late by the time we checked in.

Reception notified me upon check-in that I had already received mail and messages

My heart sank into my stomach.
Will they seriously expect me to play a role in his murder? This is so much more stressful and eventful than I had ever expected. This three year contract is already too much for me, clearly.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

The bellman walked me upstairs to my room. Upon opening the door and seeing the room in full, I couldn't help but gape at all the stunning decor. Brass lamps, a plush sofa, furniture in the three rooms included in my suite.

Delores walked in behind me, pushing Rose (who was deeply asleep from our travels) in a pram with the bellman following behind with our bags.

I could see a kitchenette, a bathroom, a small bedroom, and the master bedroom with an ensuite. The bed in the master bedroom was a four-poster and had a gorgeous netting all over.

My heart swelled with Harry's generosity before beginning to thump in my chest and push through my veins.

My eyes glistened with tears, but before I had noticed, Delores asked me if I was OK. I'm not, but how do I explain that to someone who doesn't and cannot know about my problem.

The bellman pointed to my messages and mail before vacating the room. My hands ran over the envelope that I simply knew contained another letter from my secret admirer.

Merely a reminder about my invitation for two days from now, at Cheviot Beach. A shiver ran through me as my veins filled with dread.

The message was from Harry, letting me know of the plans made for the next week and an itinerary, alongside a second note marked "To Addy, Love Harry."

This was the paper he professed his undying love for me and how thankful he was for me agreeing to come on holiday to participate with the family.

All I know?

I don't want to be a tool for Harry's death. And I do know eliminated also means "removal from" as well as "death." Deep down inside, I know this is the truth to the bottom of my bones.

The father of my child will not be a part of our lives. My daughter will never have a memory of or with him, just stories I can tell her from my memory.

I hope to gleam maybe a polaroid image or two of Harry, since my secret admirer had me utilise one for research, I should probably get those images while I could.