10. Journal that breaks hearts

I had to leave home and find an apartment for myself and the baby that will be here in four months.

I found a small two bedroom apartment in Sydney. I was starting to find it difficult to hide the baby bump so I needed some space from my family.

At least until the end of my contract.
I don't want them to be embarrassed of me and my 'Outlandish' ways.
Harry is the one who set me up around a fifteen minute walk from his house.
It was my secret admirer who furnished my home and even had a gorgeous mural painted on the wall of the nursery.

At this point, Harry was visiting me at least three nights per week. Sometimes he would cook me dinner, rub my feet or sit and cradle my stomach while talking to the baby.

It was after a month of Harry visiting me that there was an unexpected knock on the door.
I was roughly six months pregnant at this point, so I was slow on making it to the door.
Whomever knocked then pounded their fist on the door another three or four times in quick succession.

I had to call out, "I'm coming! Please wait a second!"

I pull the door open to see Harry's wife, Zara on my doorstep. Without a word she pushed her way past me to go inside to the lounge room.

Scowling, Zara appraised my apartment and based on the look that was on her face, it was clear she did not approve.

Zara wiped invisible dirt from my couch before perching on the edge of the cushion. Her back was ramrod straight as she eyed my pregnant body up and down with her steely dark eyes before heaving a sigh and letting her head tip back and taking a few deep breaths before searching my eyes with her own, seeming to peer into my soul, Zara then asked me, "Is your baby Harold's?"

I looked down at my hands entwined over my belly protectively as my quiet voice answered "yes"

Zara pinched the top of her nose as if trying to ease some pressure.

"You must be the 'Marjorie' that I keep hearing about." Zara states clearly.

"Yes Ma'am." I answer her.

"I need this to remain discrete," Zara requests, "of course Harold and myself will pay any and all medical bills to help for both the remainder of your pregnancy and any services needed after. However I do have a condition."

I couldn't maintain eye contact with this woman, the wife of the married man that I am dating. "And what condition is that?" I meekly questioned.

"That once you have ceased breastfeeding, the child shall move in with us and I will raise the child in the same manner as I have my other children. This is a non-negotiable condition. Should you choose to say no you will receive zero finances towards the child and no help with the medical costs. Are we in agreeance?" Zara answered me.

I really wanted to slap that woman! How dare she give me these ultimatums, when she doesn't truly know what my relationship with Harry is like. I refuse to be bullied by her and so I ended up snapping at her, "Absolutely not! My baby will not be out of my care, ever! I don't know who you think you are trying to tell me what I will or won't do for this baby. It's none of your business!"