5. Who What When Where Why HOW?

Having the new realisation that not only did my Nanna - a seemingly placid born-again Christian with a daughter and two son's did WHAT before she met Grandfather.

I called my Dad and had to ask him a bunch of questions so that he could ask ME a lot of questions.
No, he didn't know that about his Mum. How did I learn about this, where is the evidence?

I took photos with my phone of the letter from the secret admirer mentioning Nanna's alias and the fact that was the Government sending out those requests to be actioned in the background.

I then text him a copy of a newspaper clipping with details about Harold's circumstances - missing at sea.

In the article, it says that Harold was at the beach with his *mistress, while his wife was in Canberra having an early Christmas party with coworkers and staff.

Though there is no confirmation, bar the newspaper article shoved amid these letters, no one can say with confidence that Marjorie Gillespie is the one he had an affair with.

But when a letter to Nanna from her secret admirer states that she is playing the role of Marjorie Gillespie, and Marjorie was on the beach with him that day, and if I can locate anything further, I might be able to confirm that it was my Nanna there that day.

If so, where did she go?
Why wasn't she spotted or photographed that day?

Harold's wife was away, so the cat does play.

Do I have to go to the library to find more information? Or will Nanna's house and all its information in the boxes be enough to quell my curiosity?

I decide both will work and I'm able to use Google while looking at information in the letters and documents.

After going over files and not finding ANYTHING more, I sit back to assess where I'm at.

Looking around the room while I think, I notice a filing cabinet and a long, wooden display cabinet.

I just know there will be more answers to find in there.

I spend a few hours making a path to both cabinets by way of sorting what to keep, donate or throw.

I take a break after three hours and go downstairs to Nanna's kitchen to make myself some lunch.

I enjoy a hot cup of tea and a ham and salad sandwich in the loungeroom with my eyes greedily searching the room.

Are there more secrets hidden in plain sight?

I do a bunch of back stretches and lunges before making my way back up the stairs to search those two cabinets.

I manage to make my way over to the filing cabinet, and pull open the first drawer.

Inside are filed copies of personal papers, bills, invoices, overdue notices, and medical histories for Nanna, Dad, and Uncle Mark.

I peek inside every manilla folder I find.

After not managing to locate anything of importance in the top drawer, I open the middle drawer to resume my hunt.

Inside I find old copies of English exams made for her students, and sheets to summarise the information needed for a quiz and Nanna's teaching degree.

My bones begin to almost vibrate when I close the middle drawer to open the bottom drawer.

Inside I simply find a disorganised pile of government documents and letters to Nanna from her secret admirer.

"Bingo!" I shout out loud to no one, "I found more!"