8. The strength of one woman

My secret admirer reached out today and having closed the last file they gave me I've been given a new one.
The Harold Holt one.

I was invited to an event where my secret admirer had organised for me to be the date of an influential gentleman.
Due to his position, he was able to introduce me to Harold.

He's a good-looking man with dark hair that sits short against his head with minimal styling. He had deep chocolate eyes that sparkled with cheekiness.

Once I had been introduced to him as Marjorie Gillespie, he seemed thoroughly enamored by me.

Harold snagged me a glass of champagne and he placed his hand over my lower back to guide me to other conversations. It appeared that he was enjoying showing me off.

After conversing with three different lots of men, I began to notice that there were hardly any females in the room.
Harold's wife, Zara, was one, and perhaps around four others. They all seemed to be portly, dowdy women, so clearly the wives of a few of the men.

As the evening began to wind down, Harold went to walk me back to my "date", he linked his arm through mine and murmured quietly, "Marjorie, I'd like to see you again. May I have a telephone number, if you happen to have access to one or an address in which to see you or send mail to you?"

I pulled my little notepad and pen out of my purse and wrote down the phone number I was told to use by my secret admirer and the address of Mum and Dad's house where I stay.

Before parting with me, he grabbed my hand and drew my knuckles to his lips where he placed a soft kiss.

"See you soon, Marjorie." Harold had said as we parted.
I'm not too sure how long this will continue, but I'm almost certain, something bad is going to happen. Call it intuition.

But at least now Harold knows of me and seems interested, but I guess I will have to wait and see.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Anna, Harold's secretary called me today wanting to schedule me in Harrys calendar to spend time with him.
Anna said that Harold wanted to have dinner with me at a small Italian restaurant around a five minute walk from my home. She gave me all the details I needed and then she hung up.

Still living at home, even though I'm 18, is less than ideal. But only because I have two sisters, two brothers and both Mum and Dad living at the house with me.

I still needed to let my parents know where I was going and who with, but I had more freedom of the others.

I approached my Mum as she is a woman and would be most likely to understand and tolerate the fact that I want to go on a date. I say to Mum, "Mum, a lovely boy by the name of Harold wants to take me on a date. We would be going, if you allow me of course, to the beautiful Italian restaurant only a few blocks away. The reservation is at six pm, so I will be home no later than nine pm. Would this be this OK with you?"

Mum surprised me by gently cupping my face in her hands and saying "Adelle, you are a smart, determined and incredibly beautiful woman. You know your Dad would want to meet Harold and ask him 150 questions. I trust you to be logical, safe and follow your instincts. Go and have fun."

This action surprised me because I am the youngest of my sisters and usually the last to be seen and recognised.

Maybe this is also why I took the contract with the government. Maybe I want to be seen. Be noticed and treated like someone special, not just one a part of a herd.

I took my time carefully getting dressed when it came time to leave to meet Harold. I styled my hair, and placed some stunning jewellery upon my body and then I added my dress.
The dress I wore was one made of soft, emerald green satin material that flowed down the length of my body, but managed to cling to my curves to accentuate my body.

The shoes that matched my dress were the same color, but had a short thick heel on them. They were coated in a similar material as my dress. I layered it with a full-length trench coat in black knowing Mum wouldn't let me go if she saw my outfit.

The only make-up I had on was a blush colored lipstick and some mascara to make my eyes appear wider.

Ten minutes before I was due to meet Harold, I said goodbye to my Mum and began my short walk to the Italian restaurant.

Even though it was only ten to eleven degrees, the sky was clear, the waxing moon hung brightly in the sky with little wind stirring the trees.
Taking note of flowers in flowerbeds, shrubs, vegetables, and trees of all varieties. The scents on the air were divine.

Once I reached the restaurant, the man at the front desk asked if I had a reservation.
I state my name and Harold's name and the man's cheeks slightly blush as he looks at me in apology. He then led me to a private room in the back, that even as a local I didn't know was there, to find Harold sitting at a table for two with candles and beautiful bouquets of red roses on just about any spare surface.

Harold stood to greet me as I walked to the table, with a huge smile on his face that allowed his dimples to show.

Harold pulled me into a hug before offering to take my trench coat. He helped slide the jacket off my shoulders and laid it on a nearby chair and grasped my hand, led me to the table and pulled my seat out for me then once I was seated, he tucked me in.
I couldn't help but notice his eyes hungrily eyeing my body up and down in appreciation.

After reaching his side of the table and taking his seat he asked if I wanted a drink.

I asked for a glass of Chardonnay and was offered a bottle by the waiter. I declined to taste it before committing to the bottle being left. Harold had ordered a scotch and soda and proceeded to make small talk.

He ordered my food for me and before I knew it, the most lovely-looking entrees were bought to our table.

Continuing to get to know each other Harold asks me to call him Harry versus Harold and asks if I have a nickname.
Without thinking I said 'Addy', my real-life nickname. He looked at me a bit funny and I must have blushed because he smiled before asking how Marjorie and Addy are related.

I smiled before explaining that it was "due to my childhood" and "some silly memory" it was attached to, resulting in Addy as a nickname

Either way, he seemed content and chuckled at the made-up story I just told.
Once all the courses of meals had been eaten, Harry paid the cheque and walked me to the front of the restaurant. He held my jacket up for me to slide my arms into and once I had all the buttons done, Harry tied the waist sash.

He offered to drive me home however I needed to run over all the information he'd unknowingly supplied to work out what needed to be passed on via my report.

The walk home was a bit colder than I expected, so I tied my trench coat up as tightly as I could and hastened my steps to get myself home.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-