20. Epilogue

I'm truly lost for words right now.

It turns out that my Nanna, my NANNA, managed to change the course of history and also have no-one know that Rose had a different father to the other kids.

I genuinely don't think my Father nor Uncle know anything about this and to be honest I don't know if this is something Nanna would want the world to know.

The James she mentions near the end is my grandfather, Poppy Jim.
The fact that he knows and has kept this secret for so many years.

Until he cheated? He was a committed family man and parent.

I am in love with the fact that Nanna managed to keep a journal throughout her time working for the Government.

So detailed and interesting and I can almost guarantee that the Australian Government would not want this journal hitting the public or worse, social media.

My family deserves to enjoy their lives the way they have been. In peace and solidarity.

By the time I have finished devouring Nanna's journal, I peek up at the clock to see it's now three am.

As if my body simply adjusts to the time instantly, I yawn deeply and decide to change into my pyjama's, brush my teeth and go to bed.

The adrenaline that I got from piecing it all together is fading, but I need a good night's sleep.

Given just how exhausted I feel, once my head hits the pillow, I fall asleep almost instantly.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

This morning, I have to donate the clothing, linen and other household items that didn't need to be kept.

The rubbish bags of non-saveable items I place in the wheelie bin and given it's the night I need to put the bins on the street, I do that as soon as I put the rubbish bags inside it.

I walk back inside to grab my phone, purse and car keys.
After ensuring I'd locked the front door and have the keys in my pocket, I walk over to my car.

I unlock it and sit in the driver's seat. I put the key in the ignition and start my car.

The engine idles gently as I look up and take in the sight of my Nanna's home.
Every childhood memory made in this home flash through my mind.

My eyes must briefly mist with tears because I had to wipe a few a few of them from my cheeks as I smile and drive off to the op shop.

Once I arrive and go inside the store, I wave to gain the attention of the ladies working in there.

I take a few moments to speak to one of them.

"Hi, my Nanna passed away and I've had to sift through her house and work out the need to keep versus what I can donate."

"My condolences, dear. I'm sorry to hear of your loss." The little old lady in front of me responds.
"What do you have?"

I begin to list the assorted items I have. "There is kitchen items that I cleaned before packing, a few decorations and crystal glass sets, linen and clothing. All have been cleaned before I packed it up to bring here."

"That's so kind of you! Of course I'll take those items. In fact, we appreciate it." Is the kind response I got from the lady.

"Is there somewhere out the back that I can park my car to make unloading it a little bit easier?" I ask her.

"Of course, dear. Follow the road from the car park around to the delivery lot around the back and I'll come and help you bring it in." she said.

"Is there a buzzer or bell to press to get access? Or will you be back there to point me in the right direction?" I ask.