17. The Tragedy

Today, the itinerary says we'll be having lunch at a beautiful yet secluded restaurant. I was told that Harry and Zara had rented the entire place out for "discretional reasons," but it was clear on Harry's face that he was incredibly happy to have us there.

This was the first introduction of Harry's children from his and Zara's union with Rose, their half-sister.
Considering they are all quite young, it was entirely fine, and they got along fabulously.
It truly was only Zara's disdain that added tension to the situation.

I had a stunning dress on with plenty of jewellery to compliment my outfit, but that suited me perfectly.

Zara kept making small and quiet comments that were honestly starting to get to me. Harry was shooting glares at her while I cautiously peeked out of my peripheral vision to see her scowls.

"You're a whore at best, Marjorie."
"I bet the payments for your jewellery and wardrobe have come out of my bank account."
"I cannot wait for you to be done breastfeeding so that.. child... can be molded into a semi-decent human being, unlike yourself."

It wasn't until the slur including Rose that I started to thoroughly get angry at Zara for her callousness. But again spoke before I could say anything in return.

"That girl will forever be your bastard child and never amount to anything. I'll ensure it."

My patience finally snapped.

"Why must you constantly assume, Zara, that I am the enemy? I never sought your husband out and from the way he tells it, you're no prize yourself. My daughter will have the world at her feet and I will do anything and everything I possibly can ensure that. I pay for myself, bills, lease, wardrobe, accessories and so much more than you will ever understand. I'd appreciate at least a drop in the attitude department. I have said anything negative to or about you and I certainly don't appreciate your brutality." I stated clearly to Zara, "and Rose is not a bastard, Harold is her father."

I must admit, when I saw Zara's skin break out with red blotches on her face, she glared at me and walked over to where her children were playing quietly.

Harry approached me to apologise for Zara and attempted to plead her case but I didn't want to hear it. I stood up and spoke briefly with Delores who guaranteed she wouldn't take her eyes off Rose and also let me know when she needed to be breastfed.

I walked with my spine straight and my head held high to the ladies powder room where I splashed my face with some cold water and took a few moments to collect myself.