Another life (Part 1/3)

A/N: This is based on a KOTLC fanfic I read before. Basically, Aru has been brain washed and has a pretend life, that she doesn't know is pretend, with the Sleeper and Kara. To her, she's been with them her whole life, but she hasn't. This takes place after The Tree of Wishes, when Aru gets taken.

A bit of cursing from Aru.

ARU complained to her sister "Gods! I'm so bored Kara!". "Well it's not my fault Dad hasn't assigned us a mission yet!" Kara retorted. "But still! You have any books that we haven't already read?" Aru asked. "Nope! We've read the whole shelf," Kara replied. 

"I'm so boreeeeeeeed." Aru said, shaking her sister by the shoulders. "That's not my problem," Kara responded. "But it is. If I'm bored, then I'm going to annoy you, which will be a problem for you," Aru pointed out.

"Carlos! What time is it?" Kara asked one of the henchmen. "10:00 p.m. ma'am," he answered. "Aru, come on, we got to go to sleep," Kara said, pulling Aru towards their shared bedroom. "Fineeeeeeeeee," Aru stretched out.

The siblings entered their room. "Hey Kawa?" Aru asked her sister in a baby voice. "Yesh Awu?" Kara said in the same voice, settling into her bed. "Do you ever wonder? Where everything in the universe came from? How did it exist?" Aru asked. "Go to sleep Aru!" Kara said, exasperated. "I'm hungry," she commented. "Then ask Raina to get you some food! I'm going to sleep!"' Kara almost shouted.

Aru got up and pressed the button next to the door. "Yes ma'am?" A voice called out. "Hey Raina. Can I get some Oreos?" Aru asked. "Coming right away ma'am," Raina answered. A couple moments later, a ding came through the speaker. Aru opened the door to get her Oreos, and went back into bed.

Snacking on her Oreos, Aru picked up her phone and plugged her headphones on. She turned on an audiobook she was listening to, The Red Queen.

"It all flashes before my eyes again, from beginning to end. Will's wagon. The Guard. Kilorn. The riots, the meetings, the secret messages. Maven's face swirls around in the memories, making him stand out against the fray, but Elara pushes him away. She doesn't want to see what I remember about him. My brain screams at the onslaught, jumping from thought to thought until my whole life, every kiss, and every secret, is laid bare before her,

When she stops, I feel dead. I want to be dead. At least I won't have long to wait,

"Leave us" Elara says, her voice cunning and sharp. The soldiers wait, looking to Cal. When he nods, they take their leave, departing in a din of clicking boots. But Arven stays behind, his influence still pressing down on me. When the march of boots fades away, the king allows himself to exhale.

"Son?" He looks at Cal, and I can see the slightest quiver in his fingers. But what he could possibly fear, I do not know. "I want to hear this from you,".

"They've been a part of this for a long time," Cal mutters, barely able to say the words. "Since she came here,".

"Both?" Tiberias looks away from Cal, to his forgotten son. He looks almost sad, his face pulling into a pained frown. His eyes waver, reluctant to hold his gaze, but Maven stares right back. He will not flinch. "You knew about this, my boy?".

Maven nods. "I helped planned it,".

Tiberias stumbles, like his words are a physical blow. " And the shooting?"

"I chose the targets," Cal squeezes his eyes shut, like he can block all this out.

Maven's eyes slides past his father, to Elara, who stands close by. They hold each other's gaze, and for a moment, I think she's looking into his thoughts. With a jolt I realize she won't. She can't let herself look.