Princess of Life and Death

First, I must give credit where it is due. This chapter is heavily inspired and influenced by an arc in the novel 'The Legend of Sigmar' – By Graham McNeil. I have altered it extensively to make it as original as possible, and threw in a few references to other medias.

Be warned. This chapter is pretty dark. With that, please enjoy.

•••

Prologue

"Legend has it, in the mystic land of Prydain, there was once a king so cruel and so evil that even the gods feared him. Since no prison could hold him, he was thrown alive into a crucible of molten iron. There his demonic spirit was captured in the form of a great Black Cauldron. For countless centuries the Black Cauldron lay hidden, waiting, while evil men searched for it, knowing whoever possessed it will have the power to resurrect an army of deathless warriors, and with them, rule the world."

The Black Cauldron - 1985

•••

Chapter 14

Princess of Life and Death

•••

Cassandra sat with her table as she watched events from the recent past replay itself for the assemblage of people in Arendelle. All throughout the town the mood was morbid, expressions were grim, not since they were shown the devastation wrought by the Storm of the Unquiet have the audience witnessed a more harrowing spectacle.

Panic and terror was made manifest by the scene of what remained of a destroyed people fleeing down the slippery slopes of the mountain cliffside. The echoes of the haunting sounds of their screams and cries of horror reverberating off the mountain could be heard for miles.

Perhaps a few dozen people shuffled down the precarious narrow path. They were a handful of survivors, zealots, militia, ordinary men and women, all were running away, fleeing from mortal danger.

Cassandra grimaced. It seems absurd and monstrous that this was all that was left of an entire town populated by hundreds. Yet this was indeed the case, there was no doubt for the Dunbroch Witch had not held back when she showed the massacre with much resignation.

Anna had held onto Elsa tightly and protectively as she thought back on the confrontation leading up to the terrible scene.

For generations the paranoid townsfolk of All Hallows Eve have practiced witch hunts and ritualistic purgings of the condemned. The accused would typically be set upon by the large numbers of zealots and be helpless to resist as the cruel and medieval punishments were enacted upon them, such was the case of Jack Skellington and his family.

But the townsfolk have never faced someone who was out for blood, their blood! When they made their advance on the seven teenagers, before any righteous reprobation were voiced, without warning the girl with the chain flail swung her weapon in an arc and brought the iron ball onto the skull of the lead zealot in one motion!

The man's head was obliterated in a watermelon explosion. The girl's own comrades we're caught off guard by the actions of one of their members.

To say the girl's parents were horrified was a grave understatement. But that was only the beginning.

Eventually the shock wore off, the mob shouted in fury and charged at the teens.

Aidan at once ordered a defensive formation to brace against the rush. Most of the team was still unsure of how to handle this situation.

But Wrenn however, carried no such uncertainties. Almost as quickly as it was formed she broke formation, she rushed head first into the thickest concentration of the mob with reckless abandon. Many armed zealots and militia deviated to attack the isolated girl, to think of her an easy target was the last mistake of their lives. For wherever Wrenn fought, people died in droves.