Chapter 1 - Yearning for Warmth

Dust gathered easily in the corner of the library. This was Haru's secret place, one most would not be able to find without a keen eye. Voices don't often pierce this side of the library, no matter how loud one spoke. Golden rays of spring illuminated her secluded haven, away from the voices of those who could pry. She cherished every second of her time there, every tick of the clock, every page turned by the billowing wind.

She peered through the gaps between the shelves to notice the regular pair of girls there. She left her safe area to listen in. A rush of anxiety flooded her senses. She shrank beneath the pressure she dropped on herself, holding her breath as she waited for them to leave. As they spoke, her ears instantly perked up, desperate to hear anything they said. "The icy boy's actually really nice! I'm not sure why I was so scared of him before..." whispered one of the girls. "Oh, yeah? How do you know that?" asked the other.

"He helped me carry my books the other day!" she exclaimed, giggling. The other replied, "Girl, raise your standards a bit. That's literally bare minimum..." Their voices faded out as they disappeared down the hall, out of the library. Haru let out a long breath of relief, only now realising that she had been using her thick pink braids to cover her petite face.

"I wonder... if I can speak to others normally one day..." She could only mutter weak words of yearning to herself with a disappointed smile. She immediately brought her hands to her cheeks, calming down her racing thoughts, afraid of ever imagining a realm of possibility where that would never happen. She felt an urge to return to her safe space, but a brief turn to the nearby window would reveal the twilit sky meeting her gaze.

It was time to go home.

She sighed and gathered her world's treasure in her arms, her only escape to a space beyond her own. Clearly worn and old, it was clear she held on to these for a long time, brushing through the pages over and over, as if something was going to change if she kept reading it. These were given to her by the people who were meant to love her the most. She never forgot how her eyes twinkled at having received something for the first time in her life. She smiled to herself, a joy that only she could understand. Slipping into the night, the demure girl left the school library.

Fluorescent lights shone through the house's windows. Like a beacon in the dark, she stood beneath it, soaking in the light. Her hands gently turned the knob of the door, yet it remained closed. Haru's voice rang out to her parents without a response. She banged the door as hard as she could, quickly, restlessly, endlessly. They didn't hear her. Or maybe they did. Their silhouettes moved to close the curtains as the lights were shut off. Her beacon was gone. She was left alone once more. Her parents must've not wanted her home that night. Maybe it was a fight.

The girl slid down the door. She had a backup for days like these. She would always make sure that her room window was unlocked. They were probably still awake, and she wished to sneak back in after they were asleep. Steadying her footing, she drifted away to pass the time. Her body somehow returned her to where she came from.

Upon the gates of the school, now free of the usual hustle and bustle of the day, she abruptly froze as sounds of an aggressive fight resounded from behind the corner. She rushed to hide herself in the bushes as their voices grew louder. "I told you to stop getting in my way!" On closer inspection, the event she assumed to be a fight turned out to be much closer to a one sided beatdown. A boy laid battered against the wall as the other, larger one kicked him down repeatedly.

Haru's hands shot to her mouth as she gulped down her screams. She recognised the bigger one. He's a classmate of hers that often skipped class. The boy on the ground suddenly turned, his piercing gaze meeting hers. Sharp, golden eyes accentuated by the dark spot beneath it bore into her soul. She flinched, causing her to drop her books on the ground.