Chapter 26 - A Magical School Festival Experience!

"The second play's gonna be in 4 hours! Take a nice long break! We'll call you when it's time to get ready again!"

...

"Haru, do you want to go around the festival with me?" Yuki invited.

He pointed towards Kana, occupied with familiarising herself with her brother's boyfriend. They seemed to get along well. His parents were there too, as awkward as they were they seemed excited to meet him.

She tilted her head. "Yuki, you don't want to join her?"

He shook his head. "Nah, it's her moment to shine. I know better than to interrupt something like that."

Are you sure you're not just trying to avoid Aoi? Haru kept those thoughts buried within her. Yuki always had a way with saying different words while meaning different things.

Rika and Nami walked up to them. "No kidding! Speaking of, don't you think Kyo looks like he's shining too? He's so happy that things went this well!" Rika pointed out.

"Let's go check out the festival together, the both of us are on break now too," Nami suggested.

Haru looked at Kyoya, calling him over. "Kyo, let's go look around! I heard one class has a haunted house, think you can probably use that for writing material?"

He went over to them immediately. "Let's go."

Rika laughed. "Don't you want to bask in your glory more? You seemed to be surrounded by people complimenting you just now!"

Kyoya snickered. "Why, jealous?"

Her laughter suddenly stopped. She marched forwards straight to the door. "Wh– what are you waiting for!? Let's go! Our breaks aren't very long!"

Haru looked at Kyoya, wondering if this really was the first time he liked someone. He seemed to be a natural, strangely enough. Nami sighed, sensing that she was going to have to hear spiels about a different guy this time around whenever she's alone with Rika.

She smacked Kyoya's back. "Hey, just confess already. Whether she likes you or not, this is tiring me out."

Kyoya seemed surprised by what she said. "... Then, I'll do it today."

All of them gasped. Yuki pat his back, a serious tone when he spoke. "Good luck, brother."

Haru smiled, "I'll– I'll make sure you guys end up alone together, so make it count!"

He nodded, a soft chuckle leaving his lips.

...

"Hiro! Let's hang out after my shift!"

The petite, demure girl could only overhear conversations from across the room where she stood in the corner. Her classroom, class 1B. This was a feeder school, most of the students here were students of a different middle school, thus friend groups had already formed before she even experienced her first day of school. There were people all around her, but all she could do was conceal her presence from others. Mindless chatterings filled the festive halls.

It had been like this for years now. Haru gripped the books she held to her chest even tighter. Taking a deep breath, she walked up to a girl– her classmate, her heart galloping as she pulled on her shirt to get her attention.

"Hm? Ah, Haru, right? What is it? Kinda busy right now!"

Oh, she's busy...

Haru shook her head. "It– it's okay, nevermind..."

The girl suddenly leaned closer. "Sorry, can you repeat? I didn't hear you the first time."

Blood rushed to her cheeks, dying it a deep pink. Haru's legs subconsciously began to back away, her speed eventually accelerating her directly en route to the school rooftop.