Chapter 35 - My True Freedom [EPILOGUE]

The door slowly cracked open, letting streaks of the midnight moonlight illuminate the already well lit living room. The two step in, hand in hand.

"Haru!!! We're so glad you're home safe!" Rika and Nami instantly piled on her, unintentionally breaking the link between their hands. Kyoya stood behind them, making sure none of them bumped into the wall in that narrow corridor. As their chaotic voices overlapped one another, Yuki chuckled and walked over to Kana, barely keeping herself awake as she sprawled herself out on the sofa. Despite being the alleged bastion of stamina, she had been feeling quite unwell these past few days, making her wonder if her teacher was lying to her all along. Or maybe she ran around too much.

"Good job bringing her home, soldier. How come you only ever win rock paper scissors when we're choosing something related to Haru?" Kana asked teasingly. She paused, watching Yuki's unending grin. It unsettled her. "Of course bringing her home makes you happy, eh? Still, you really should move on-"

His grin grew bigger. She was really scared now. When he came home after being formally rejected, she had to stay with him the entire night as he cried. She didn't mind doing it, but she wouldn't deny it being hell. A part of her felt responsible as the one that encouraged them together in the first place. "Knock it off, dude. You're freaking me out!"

He crouched down and took out his phone. She heard a text notification from him and looked at what he sent.

"✧⁠◝⁠(⁠⁰⁠▿⁠⁰⁠)⁠◜⁠✧(⁠≧⁠▽⁠≦⁠)(⁠~⁠ ̄⁠³⁠ ̄⁠)⁠~(⁠'⁠∩⁠。⁠•⁠ ⁠ᵕ⁠ ⁠•⁠。⁠∩⁠'⁠)♡⁠(⁠Ӧ⁠v⁠Ӧ⁠。⁠)(⁠'⁠ε⁠`⁠ ⁠) ! ! !"

She narrowed her eyes and looked at Yuki again. Was this a game he wanted to play or had he lost his mind?

"(⁠☞⁠^⁠o⁠^⁠)⁠ ⁠☞ wtf ! ?" she replied.

He turned away from her physically, making her focus on her phone more, anticipating what he was going to send. He was typing, then pausing, typing, then pausing. It was taking him a long time. What was it that he wanted to tell her that he couldn't outright say in person? she wondered.

"we're going out"

She scowled, the burst of energy she received from seeing Haru return safe immediately gone. "no what im going to sleep"

"no"

She waited for him again. He was being completely incomprehensible to her, maybe it was the fatigue catching up to all of them.

"me and haru"

She read those words and thought nothing of it. Then, she reread it again, looking up at the grinning boy in front of her and back down to her phone. Her phone dropped to the floor with a loud thud.

"WHAT!?"

She turned towards the other side of the living room, to the corner where the "Lost Kids Agency" were bunched up in. For some reason, both her and that group had yelled at the same time.

The word dripped out of all of them at once after a moment of thought. "... Huh?"

...

Haru ushered them all to the side, sneaking glances at Yuki and Kana looking at their phones for some reason despite being right next to each other. It seemed she and Yuki had completely different methods in mind when it came to telling their friends about... Her cheeks began to feel hot, remembering the events that happened earlier. Her finger traced itself over her lips. They were soft.

His were soft too.

"What did you want to tell us? I wanna know all about the city!" Rika excitedly claimed.