XI

XI: Gut Feeling

-Anonymous-

Iris waited patiently in the lobby area of the building, she was biting her inner cheek in nervousness. She was regretting her decision, but it was too late to turn back.

"Mommy!" Bea ran out with the other small girls in their color coded uniforms. "Hi baby." Iris kneeled down welcoming her hug with Bea.

"Look at what I made." Beatrice holds up yet another drawing of her father and Eliana with a very prominent bump. Iris couldn't help but feel her heart strings tug. "That's so pretty bumble Bea. But what did I say about drawing pictures of papa?"

"It's dangerous." Bea says sadly. "I promise you'll see daddy soon enough okay?" She lies.

Iris had no idea if Mateo would even be prepared for the storm coming his way. It was too dangerous for Bea to be in his care, Iris picked her side. There was no turning back, Bea isn't a secret anymore— not to him.

-

He's been ignoring me

He's been ignoring me. He has to be, or he's dead. I know it's not the second option because I've been watching him. Only while he's on this side of town, We still haven't figured out where he goes at night. Sometimes he's off the grid for days at a time.

"Our time is wearing thin. Father is impatient, he's had someone spying from a distance on the Don in Europe. You haven't had any new information on Kenzi, if our plan falls through he'll send higher ups." Sasha sounds irritated as she laces up her boots.

"I refuse to fail, I don't need that shit on my resume." Her accent is thicker the angrier she is. We're afraid they've figured us out, we haven't heard from our inside man either.

She's right, I've been letting him get in the way of what I'm here for. I am supposed to be one of the best and yet here I am, avoiding my mission.

After his avoidance I told them about his phone conversation in the bathroom. About the names I heard, Eliana which we already knew of and Bea. I suddenly recall the small bumblebee tattoo of Kenzi's hand.

Wait.

I think I know what's he's hiding, what he goes to see when he disappears. And I also have a feeling Mateo's searching for his daughter in Europe, Or she's in a hideout whoever Kenzi disappears to. Maybe the don's daughter being missing is a coverup for something else.

"I'm gonna have to follow him." I say and Sasha clicks her teeth. "It's too dangerous, he might see you." She stands up.

"I'll do it.", "No! I need you here for when the Don returns, which is possibly sooner than we think." She frowns and gives a unreadable expression.